First recipesever...how do they look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, first, thanks for the help from everyone as I have been lurking here for a while. Now, onto my questions....so after brewing a few pre-assembled kits, I decided to buy some ingredients and experiment a little bit. I wanted to brew some beers that would be done rather quickly and that I could force carbonate and have on tap within a couple of weeks. I decided on trying to put together a basic brown ale and an english pub ale. Based on the ingredients available at the closest brew supply house, I got

13.2 lbs Muntons Light Unhopped Malt Extract
1.0 lbs Extra Light DME
1.0 lbs British crystal 50-60L
1.0 lbs British chocolate malt
1.0 lbs American black patent
4.0 oz Kent Goldings (6% AA )
1.0 oz Northern Brewer (9.8% AA)
1.0 oz Cascade
1 Packet Nottingham Ale Yeast

I plan on breaking this down into the following batches:

English Pub Ale
.50 lb. British crystal 50-60L
2 oz. American black patent
6.6 lb. Muntons Light malt extract
1.5 oz. Kent Goldings (6% AA, 60 min.)
1.5 oz. Kent Goldings (6% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (aroma)

I plan on pitching this on top of the yeast cake of the Winter Warmer that is currently in my primary. That was fermented with Munton's Gold Ale Yeast.

The other beer will be:

English Brown Ale
.50 lb. British crystal 50-60L
.25 lb. British chocolate
6.6 lb. Muntons Light malt extract
.4 lb. Light dry malt extract
1 oz. Northern Brewer (9.8% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (6% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma)
1 Packet Nottingham Ale Yeast

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I have based these recipes off of other I have seen online or in books, but have adjusted to use ingredients that were available, etc. Does anything look incredibly wrong or just plain dumb???

:drunk:

Should I switch to an amber or dark syrup for the brown ale? Also, I just realized that I meant to pick up 1 pound of Dextrine malt as well. I was going to use some of that in both batches (not sure how much yet)

Also, I think I'll change the hop additions of the pub ale to be 1.5oz@60 mins, 1oz@30 mins, & 1oz@15 mins in order to raise the IBUs a bit. Should I get some add'l hops for dry hopping this ale or will it be good without that?

Any suggestions would be great, since this is my first time not following a kit and I don't want to make 5 gallons of nastiness...

Stick with light extracts, Browns shouldn't very dark.
1 oz. Northern Brewer (9.8% AA, 60 min.) cut this to 1/2 oz
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (6% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma) eliminate this completely. Bad hop for Browns. Also, most browns do not have an aroma hop, unless you're from Texas. I'm not say you'd have bad ale, just that it wouldn't taste like a Brown.

Latest posts

Back