Cider type flavor, but only after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewjscott

Reaction score
I have brewed a cream ale and American wheat. Both of which taste fine while in the keg, but have a cider taste after bottling from keg. I know it is not the usual explanation of slacking in sanitation because of my OCD type cleanliness when kegging and bottling. I am wondering if it could be from fermenting at higher ranges (up to 72F). I have another thought/question. Does the PH of the mash also effect the beer with a cider taste? The reason I ask is that I have never had this problem with darker beers and did not know if the PH had that effect.

Ok, lets get this straight, #1, all done fermenting, carb'd up, pour it into a glass from the keg and it tastes fine...#2, pour carbonated beer into a bottle from the keg, then cap it off. Open it up later and have green apple taste?

Not really a green apple taste. Originally, I thought it was just esters, but it mainly happens when the beer goes past four weeks of aging. It has the same type of off flavor for both of the last two batches of "lighter" beer that I made

Back