First cider attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmo100

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

After recently deciding to try my hand at home brewing, I thought I'd give cider a shot. My first question concerns the ingredients. I'm able to get some apple juice from a local orchard that is pasteurised and preservative free, however they offer both a clear juice and a "full body juice". I assume the difference is that the clear juice has been filtered more than the latter. Which would be best for cider making?

Also, I was thinking of creating a blend of apple and pear juice and fermenting that along with brown sugar, I assume there is no problem with combining juices like this?

Any advice/suggestions/criticism is much apprectiated, thanks!

Either would be fantastic for cider making as cider is suppose to finish clear. I'd guess you'd get more flavor from the pulped version simply because of the fruit still being in there.

No problem combining juices.

Advice/Suggestions:
I love Nottingham Ale yeast.

Get a hydrometer and get a reading before you add your yeast so you can calculate the ABV afterwards and so you don't start a "Is my cider finished thread" because when it levels out for a few days then it is done.

Leave it for at least 2 weeks before even thinking of messing with it.

Great, I think I'll stick to the clear juice as it's going to be slightly easier for me to get.

I'll look for Nottingham Ale yeast if I can find it here, it seems like many people favour it for ciders. And I've got a hydrometer so I'm all set :)

One other question, I'll have just bottled the lager I'm brewing at the moment in the bottles that came with the fermenter and so will need to get some more bottles for the cider. Is there any real advantages/disadvantages to using plastic bottles over glass? As I can either invest in some more plastic bottles, or a capper for use on recycled glass bottles.

Back