Hops with orange flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertroll

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions of hop varieties that have orange flavor notes, as opposed to grapefruit or generic citrus. I'd like to try to put together a chocolate/orange stout with just malt, hops, yeast, and water, if possible. I'm headed out to the SLHBS later today. Pacifica comes to mind, but if there are others I should look at as well, I'd love to know.

I personally find that Summit can have tangerine notes, though some people also describe it as having a garlic or onion flavor that they don't like. Amarillo comes to mind too as a more orange-like flavor.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't also use some orange rind, though, unless it's just to see how it goes. Bitter/sour/Seville orange rind is used in beer all the time, and it will blend well with hops. I would also recommend a small amount of ground Indian coriander, which has a strong citrusy aroma.

Citra and Amarillo Hops due great for a citrus note. Can be close to orange if dry hopped for aroma tricking your brain into tasting orange/tangerine.

Could also combine sweet orange peel?

I haven't used amarillo yet, but I did pick up half a pound of them recently. Maybe this will be a good test bed.

I'm avoiding the use of orange zest/peel (and cocoa nibs) just as a challenge. I want to see if I can coax the flavors I want out of just the base ingredients. I got some one gallon fermenters recently, and I've been having fun getting experimental (so far, I've gotten a horrible catpiss IPA and a promising pineapple mead out of them).

Ahtanum has an orange flavor to it. It's accompanied by a musty/earthy component, so if you are looking for a clean orange flavor it may not be your best bet.

ahurd110 said:
I did a pale ale with a mix of ahtanum and Amarillo. It tastes like fresh squeezed orange juice.

I've done this same combo -- really fantastic!

Agree with Zythos. Super tangerine-y in a very pleasant way. I love a good single-hop IPA with Zythos (can you call it a single-hop if the hop is just a branded blend?)

One of my top 5 beers is Essence from Hangar 24 - they use Cascade and Zythos with (I think) a touch of wheat in the grist, and grapefruit and blood oranges in the secondary. Perfectly balanced and super citrusy.

Weird. My experience is the exact opposite. I love Citra and Simcoe as well, maybe my palate doesn't get the cat piss thing that others report.

They may have been incredibly old. I picked them up at a local beer store that has a small selection of very dusty homebrew supplies. I don't think their stock rotates very often.

I adore citra, cascade, etc, and don't usually get cat pee from them. I think it was just this pouch of zythos.

Good suggestions of hops here. I used summit and got tangerine but with the ones described with onion/garilic-those are hop union I believe(they have that actual description on the hops). Ive used both didnt really get the onion garlic in that one though.

I hear ya about the lhbs and old ingredients though, I belive I got some cascade leaf hops I used maybe within a month or two (freezer) from them and I got dirty refrigerator/garbage aromas from it. Unless it was something else ,I was kind of suspisious of a starter airlock(with idophor that maybe became weak) backsuck from being in the fridge more than a few days. The leaf hops didnt seem that bad when I dryhopped with them but maybe a bit buttery/slightly discolored. Its hit or miss with my lhbs too.

What quantities/times did you add for the orange juice flavor?
What style was the beer? <- I just saw that you stated it was a pale ale.

It was a few years back and I dont think I have the recipe anymore. I do remember it was a lot of late additions, and leaned around 70/30 Amarillo to ahtanum. I'll post the recipe if I can find it.

I made a Zythos/Ahtanum IPA recently and it was pure Blood Orange. Very good.

I'm looking for suggestions of hop varieties that have orange flavor notes, as opposed to grapefruit or generic citrus. I'd like to try to put together a chocolate/orange stout with just malt, hops, yeast, and water, if possible. I'm headed out to the SLHBS later today. Pacifica comes to mind, but if there are others I should look at as well, I'd love to know.
Super late reply to this thread, but use voss kveik yeast. Ferment around 90F and pitch about 75% less yeast as your normal pitch rate.
10 to 15% rye malt will add some body and a citrus/orange note as well

Back