abbey instead of wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefleck

Reaction score
Making my starter for a wit but using an abbey yeast (because I have it) some of me worries it won't have the characteristics typical, the rest says it will as most Belgium brewers just use their house yeast for all of their ales. What is your take?

I am planning on brewing a wit this weekend and have been trying to propagate some yeast from a couple of Chimay white bottles as I think that it would add a nice kick to the wit - unfortunately we didn't save enough wort from our last brew and I don't think I will have a large enough starter to try it out.
If you go with it, let me know how it comes out as I would like to try it myself in the near future.

I say go for it. I harvested yeast from Chimay Blue bottles and built them up over the course of a week. Now I have three batches Chimay yeast - each equivalent to about a wyeast packet - chilling in mason jars the fridge. I'm going to use them for a bunch of beers.

Wyeast's website even says that their Abbey can be used for Witbier.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=127

I only have about a liter's worth of wort though - mrmalty says I need 2+ liters. Although I have heard that a wit should be underpitched so the yeast is stressed a bit...not sure what to do!

Dave, I was listening to the Can You Brew It - Wit episode yesterday and the guy who brewed the wit (not sure of who it was) said you could use an abbey strain or a wit strain for a wit - with the abbey strain giving off fruiter flavors.

Back