Upgraded my brew equipment today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekbooth

Reaction score
So I upgraded my brewing equipment today. Before, I was brewing on an electric stove which couldn't get my wort boiling as rapidly as I'd like. I made 2 batches this way. Each time, I boiled all ingredients in approx. 1 gallon of water, then poured into my primary and topped off with cold water to 5 gallons and waited for the temp to drop before pitching my yeast.

Today, I bought a Camp Chef Cooker rated at 60,000 BTU. I've got a very large stainless steel pot that I'll be cooking 5 gallons of a Raspberry Wheat Ale in today. I also bought a wort chiller. My question is this:

Since I now have the heat source to bring 5 gallons of wort to a boil rapidly and a chiller that can bring it back down to 70 degrees much quicker than before, is it beneficial or detremental to boil all 5 gallons of my ingredients + water and then after cooling, simply pour everything into the primary.

My gut says, it would be beneficial, as all 5 gallons will aerate much better... but I'm no expert.

You will want to boiul probably 6 gallons in order to get down to 5 due to boil off.
It would be beneficial to do a full boil, better hop utilization, less caramelizing the wort, etc.

I currently boil 6.82gal to end up with 5gal of finished product, but it's around 20*F here so that affects my boil off some.

Back