New brewer in Cary, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonIAm

Reaction score
I am just getting in to the home brew hobby after spending a year debating it. I have a deep love of craft brews, and the scene is really blowing up here in central NC. I'll be starting my first batch next Sunday; an extract/grain version of Starr Hill's Darrk Starr Stout. I've been studying the process daily, and learning as much as I can.
I'm looking forward to growing my skill, and making some damn fine brew.

--Tony

welcome, im doing my second batch either today or tomorrow after i go to the LHBS

Tony,

Welcome. Make sure you keep your eyes on the Local Gatherings area, there are get togethers all the time (from what I see) in the area. They also do a lot of group buys if you look.

Orlando

LOL, grab some ass, huh? Well i guess as long as the GF isn't looking...

heh, GRABASS is a google group that one of these guys (walker I think?) started for local brewers. Greater Raleigh Area Brewers And Sud Sippers. :-D

Nice. I'll have to look into it! Anyone want to lend an experienced eye on my first brew day, next Sunday?

lol. Last time I was drunk was Xmas Eve, after knocking down a growler of Big Boss' Aces & Ates. Mmmm delicious. Sounds like a plan though!

Big Boss is having their monthly tour at 2pm today. I might try to be there for a bit, If I get clearance from the gf.

So I read an article yesterday about a bank robbing/hostage situation in Cary NC the other day. Apparently the robber was shot and killed. Was that truly in Cary? I have a few friends that live there.

On a more fun note.... welcome aboard!

Welcome! If you wanna get involved in a not-anything-like-uptight group, send Walker a PM about GRABASS. He lives not too far away from you (depending on which annex of Cary you live in). And if you wanna get involved in a little more organized affair, contact skeeordye11 (he's also posted in your thread).

So I read an article yesterday about a bank robbing/hostage situation in Cary NC the other day. Apparently the robber was shot and killed. Was that truly in Cary? I have a few friends that live there.

Yep, Cary, NC. But remember, Cary is now so damn big, it may have been an hour drive from your buddies! :p

Yeah, supposedly it was a suicide-by-cop situation. Pretty sad that he made that choice, and put those bank employees through that.

Yeah some guy tried to lead a hostage out of a bank and got capped by a sniper from the police.

Does anybody know if that was the Wachovia at Parkway Pointe? I used to live 5 minutes from there. Do you guys remember the Jewelery Heist that ended with the guys hiding out in Cary? The guy was hiding out in my Uncle's backyard! this kind of stuff never happens in Cary. Or better yet CARPEX which is the area of Cary I am from. A short jump from the Apex line. That area has gotten so huge. I moved to Cary back in 86 and used to go hunting where McAuther Park now sits.

We should get together sometime. I have been wanting to go on a tour of Aviator. I am always looking for people to brew with as well.

there are a lot of good places close by. avaitor, carolina, big boss, roth, lonerider, fullsteam, boylan st brewpub, are all within a 15-20min drive.
I'm down for some meetups, or my non-parenting weeks.

We should get together sometime. I have been wanting to go on a tour of Aviator. I am always looking for people to brew with as well.

If you want to meet some other local brewers, we have an oddly large and extremely informal brew "club" called GRABASS, as ezzie mentioned above.

We have some pretty good get togethers from time to time.

If you want to be added to the list, I can do that. Just PM me your email address.

Alternately, yoiu can just search here on HBT periodically using the word "GRABASS".

I have an extract/grain recipe to start with, and an all-grain recipe, both for Darrk Starr Stout. I might have to use someone else's brewery for the all-grain. 5 gal off all-grain on the stove top might be a little excessive

You're not far at all from Boston, either.

Probably over 100 of us in the area.

I have an extract/grain recipe to start with, and an all-grain recipe, both for Darrk Starr Stout. I might have to use someone else's brewery for the all-grain. 5 gal off all-grain on the stove top might be a little excessive

I have my old 30qt stainless pot and propane burner from when I was still doing 5 gallon batches. You are welcome to use them if you need them. I am out of propane though. Do you have a mash tun or are you going to brew in a bag?

Hey guy's, since you are in the Cary area... I am staying at the Umstead Hotel on business in two weeks and was trying to find a good brew pub to have dinner and sample some good local beer. What can you recommend thats close to that hotel??? Would really appreciate it.

Hey guy's, since you are in the Cary area... I am staying at the Umstead Hotel on business in two weeks and was trying to find a good brew pub to have dinner and sample some good local beer. What can you recommend thats close to that hotel??? Would really appreciate it.

Geeez... they sure did stick you in a crappy hotel, didn't they. :D

Just down the road from you (away from the highway and towards downtown Cary) is the Harrison Bar and Grill. 301 N Harrison Ave.

It's not a brewpub (they don't brew themselves), but they are part of a local chain of places (http://beerandburgers.com/) that are scattered around the grater raleigh area. They usually have a decent selection of stuff and the food is decent.

Here's a link straight to their beer list:
http://beerandburgers.com/HarrisonsBarGrill/BeerList.aspx

edit: if it weren't valentine's day, I'd meet you there.

If you want to venture further from the hotel, it really doesn't take a lot of time to get to downtown Raleigh since you are right there off I-40. Several breweries downtown, two of which (Boylan Bridge and Natty Greene's) serve food.

Back