Hefeweizen Sample Tasted Rubbery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
I took a sample of my first beer (a citrus hefeweizen which is on the tail end of primary fermentation), and it has a very strong rubber taste. I think it's coming from the yeast. I may have accidentally sucked up some of the (shrinking) krauzen with the sample. Will this flocculate/get digested out as it conditions? The aroma is also very rubbery right now. The smell was citrus-y and banana-like at first.

I'm not planning on dumping it or anything. I just want to know if it was the sign of an infection or anything.

I did use a rubber hose, but it was sanitized and brand new.

The recipe is citrus weizen from the Wheat Beers section, with WLP 300 Hefeweizen yeast.

PS: I wouldn't say it was undrinkable or sour, so I'm guessing this probably isn't an infection.

Well, wheat yeasts often throw a bit of sulfur and I've seen it described as a rubbery taste or smell a few times.

EDIT: My latest wheat batch had a strong sulfur smell in the fermenter, but it faded after about a week.

My first hefe was a couple weeks ago using Edwort's Bavarian Hefewezien recipe. I tried the hydro sample and it tasted like I was sucking on an old stanky piece of rubber. (Like this inside of an inner-tube for a tire or something) After a week in the bottle the taste was still there. So I start Googling and searching for rubbery taste and get all worked up about this problem or that problem and wasted a couple of weeks fretting and worrying (read: drinking other homebrews).

Then I pulled one out and fridged it on week three -- THIS RECIPE IS AWESOME! The rubber smell/taste has totally gone. I've got a little banana, a bit of clove, a bit of spice, a bit of sweetness -- It's the perfect hefeweizen. At this rate I'm going to have to brew it again next weekend.

I guess I'm saying, just wait and that rubberiness will probably just disappear, leaving a totally awesome hefe behind.

BTW - I used Weihenstephan 3068 strain from Wyeast.

Good to hear that it goes away on its own, and that it will dissipate even if I bottle (in ~2 weeks, of course). Thanks, Archie!

Definitely not to worry (at least yet).

According to my notes I only fermented for 2 weeks in primary @68F and then bottled. I brewed it on 2/13/2010 and it is just ridiculously awesome tasting now.

Back