Old Yeast, Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
I have a White labs Saison 1 yeast with a "best before date" of June 6th thats been sitting in the frig. My LHBS says to use it but it'll take an extra day to start. What do you guys( and gals) think?
I just got a bug up my butt to brew today

The only way to know is to make a good starter and see if it does anything.

According to the wife (who actually worked in a lab at UPenn with yeast!) you should be ok as long as the container is still sealed and they were keep within a proper temperature range. She said the they jsut might need some more time to get going, but that you should be alright in the end.

You'd need to make a starter with the WL yeast anyway (even if it does 'claim' to be pitchable). Your HB shop is right, a starter will probably take a while to get going. If you want to brew today use a dry yeast.

+1 on making a starter. I have had WLP vials a year past the best before date and made starters and they have worked. Granted some have taken some build ups to really get going. Try making a 1L starter and see what happens.

well, the first thing i'd do is get tested. that bug really gets around and he must be carrying something by now.

then i'd either make a starter to make sure your yeast is viable for brewing tomorrow or use some dry yeast (if you have it)

Back