Liquid Nitrogen Tank Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BatRastard

Reaction score
Has anyone here converted a liquid gas tank into brew pots, mash tuns, and fermenters ?

I ask because I have acquired two liquid nitrogen tanks and am considering converting them to a homebrew setup. The tanks are essentially a stainless steel vessel nested inside another ss vessel, vacuum sealed and heavily insulated. So each tank is potentially two pots. In between the vessels is a vaporizer coil that converts liquid to gas and could possible become a wort chiller. I can cut the top off the 35 and have two 7 gal pots and cut the 55 in half and have four 7gal fermenters! Sounds insane, huh?

Has this been done ?

Bat

A quick glance on eBay shows that you may be sitting on a gold mine. Unless they're unserviceable, you're probably much better off selling them and using the cash for some nice brew gear.

I don't know of anyone else that's done what you're suggesting, likely because of the value/expense involved.

I look at the LN dewers at work and drool too. However, unless there is something wrong with them, they are SIGNIFICANTLY more valuable for thier intended purpose!!!

SIGNIFICANTLY!!!

The regulator has a setting that allows a small amount of LN to blow off as gas into the jacket. This raises the pressure on the LN port for use with environmental ovens.

I use them all day/every day to test the affects of temperature on our designs.

If the tanks are beyond repair or certification then I ?could? IMAGINE cutting them into beer make equipment. However, I still think they would be worth more for the metal content.

Hmmmm ... may be a good idea here. I use liquid O2 daily operating a hyperbaric medical clinic and my gas supplier gave these to me. They were used by the Los Alamos lab and were to be tossed because of age.

I could use the 35l to make two vessels and ebay the 55l to pay for all
my equipment and a ton of ingredients. That would mean .... FREE BEER!

I have to do at least one tank as I have a good friend with the welding / cutting equipment and homemade equipment is too much fun no matter how ghetto.

Sure to sound crazy I know, but I already am told that for entering the homebrew scene going all grain on an IPA.

Bat

However tempted you are, the cash for that vessel you're considering cutting might buy a handful of old Sanke kegs that you could use to satisfy your lust for DIY. It's worth checking out.

Otherwise, post pictures of your project!

Yes it is in the back of my mind as well. I have about 200 of them where I work. I do have some that are basically worth scrap price that I want to convert some day. The ones I am going to convert are 220l. Just have to figure out how to get the money to convert them first. Good luck!

I can't sell the 35l in good conscience as it builds pressure even with the pressure builder circuit removed. Something internal for sure. I also have a
100l doing the same thing but I'm not ready to go microbrew! (yet)

Definitely intend to chronicle the adventure and post pics for the curious.

Bat

What is the result of the Dewar conversion? I have a XL-180 that I just stumbled on and have the same idea to convert it to pots, fermenter and a chiller. Any pics?

footballfinger said:
What is the result of the Dewar conversion? I have a XL-180 that I just stumbled on and have the same idea to convert it to pots, fermenter and a chiller. Any pics?

Sorry for the loooong delay. I was able to get the 35l cut in half and the outer pot converted to a boil kettle. Shortly after that I was rear ended on the freeway and the project was derailed. Just had the last of 8 surgeries and hope to get back going.

I have found the thickness of the steel problematic. Takes a jet burner to really fire it up and immersion chiller has to work hard to chill the wort and all that metal. Pretty heavy pot also, especially after two shoulder surgeries.

I still want to use the inner vessel for a fermenter at some point but funds are a problem.

I am wondering about building a small brew pub with the 3bbl massive Liquid Cryo Nitrogen tanks, but wondering if I should just sell them and buy newer or do the conversion? They are in working condition so thinking I should just sell them probably make more selling to a lab. If anyone knows about Union Carbide/Linde Lab Cryogenic Equipment what would you do?
y4mK20V9_1JEirOOWzcoBp5EwUc9SB3exPd7Sp2-RBpStWkabNsEzn0ocR4SgsWF_BAzUr1mN0qOPsIpL5kbW9HR5QaXwyI_GhH6T0bDkdkb5Xl-9ASXH48kZUTn0hMbznUCE2wWpSRHK8aBaQNGndmIEPom6ksNQ86a8BBfJfFiD5p3OrKQYGc5AtkxXvqPONsZsS7VRTBysGb3V01fMti_Q

Back