keeping coriander contained?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_ak

Reaction score
Hi gang. I've been reading threads on Wit brewing and was just wondering about whether a couple layers of cheesecloth would sufficiently contain the coriander and orange zest so that they can be removed after steeping @ flameout?

The nylon mesh bag I have isn't fine enough mesh, and I don't want the coriander to make it into the fermenter.

Cheesecloth a go?

EDIT: Or is it actually okay for the coriander to make it into the primary?

AK

Coriander in the secondary would work the best. As far as cheesecloth ive never used it. i would invest in some fine mesh bags they clean easy and last a lifetime.

Hmm. I'm pretty new, but my understanding is that coriander should usually go in at flameout or possibly secondary. If in primary only, then won't the vigorous fermentation offgass the volatile dimensions of the spices that you want to stay in the beer?

AK

the recipe I just did called for coriander @ 15min, with finely ground spices you can just dump them in, they'll impart flavor and then just settle out in primary. With the orange zest you can use a nylon bag.

Back