Gegassing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stearno411

Reaction score
Full disclaimer. New to wine making, plus I am using a kit. I am stirring the wine to degas and have been at it for 4 days. It does not seem to be getting better. This kit said 10 minutes to 3 days. I understand from reading others post the importance of degassing, so should I continue stirring or move on? Gravity was 0.994. Thanks for the help!

Full disclaimer. New to wine making, plus I am using a kit. I am stirring the wine to degas and have been at it for 4 days. It does not seem to be getting better. This kit said 10 minutes to 3 days. I understand from reading others post the importance of degassing, so should I continue stirring or move on? Gravity was 0.994. Thanks for the help!

It must be degassed to move to next phase without issues. This can take days to longer than a week if hand stirring. Make sure the wine itself it at least 70F otherwise CO2 will not come out of solution. If you have a drill, you can invest in a degassing device. Or rack entire contents of carboy to another carboy but kink the racking tube, just make sure wine at 70. Of course, bulk aging of nine months or longer has always naturally degassed my wines.

saramc said:
It must be degassed to move to next phase without issues. This can take days to longer than a week if hand stirring. Make sure the wine itself it at least 70F otherwise CO2 will not come out of solution. If you have a drill, you can invest in a degassing device. Or rack entire contents of carboy to another carboy but kink the racking tube, just make sure wine at 70. Of course, bulk aging of nine months or longer has always naturally degassed my wines.

Thank you.

Back