bottling young naturally fermented cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwibrew

Reaction score
I got some fresh unpasteurized cider (OG 1.052) from a local cider mill 4 weeks ago and put a gallon of it in a sanitized Carlo Rossi jug with an air lock, it started to bubble pretty good within 2 days and seemed to stop bubbling after about 2 weeks, one week ago I racked off of the lees. I am amazed at the taste, dry, crisp, apply, light, and refreshing. My cider I made last year with brown sugar bumping the OG up to 1.070 took about 9 months before I really liked the taste. My only problem is the dissolved CO2 still present giving it a little unwanted zip.
Should I….
A) Just be more patient give it time to degas on its own
B) Add a measured amount (how much?) of fresh cider to prime it and bottle
C) Degas it with a mix-stir and bottle it still

I really don’t have a preference for sparkling or still, but really don't want it part way between the two. I wouldn’t want to prime it with any kind of sugar; it seems this would defeat the purpose letting the cider go wild. The reason I am tempted to bottle so early is that I really do like the taste now and am worried it may change, due to its lower ABV making it less stable and the wild fermentation being unpredictable. What would you do?

last year's two batches of wild fermented cider (6%) are still delicious... in fact i think i'll go open one right now. one had a spontaneous malolactic fermentation, dunno if you want that to happen in the bottle but i don't know enough about it to say. the other is tart and appley and was still improving last time i had one a couple months back.

thanks, I was planning to wait much longer based on my limited experience with cider last year, but was suprised to find out that I actually do like the way it tastes now and didn't want it to take a turn for the worse. Last year's batch with sugar added turned into something I realy liked by summer, but still tasted like 3$ chardonnay from the drug store even a couple months out.

yum hangover chardonnay!
i opened one of the last bottles of that batch and decided it is no longer improving. took a few months to develop but now i think i'll finish them off before the trajectory changes downward. 6-8 months was perfect for this one

Back