Pressurized Carboy transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Has anyone used CO2 pressure to transfer out of a carboy?

The setup I am envisioning is:
a carboy with carboy cap installed
a siphon tube extending to bottom of carboy through the carboy cap
out line from CO2 tank connected to the carboy cap and applying pressure to the top of the beer.

The siphon tube would lead to a keg or a secondary carboy. My thought is to first purge the keg, then transfer with CO2 pressure so I have no heavy lifting.

My question is..... am I going to explode my carboy and spill beer everywhere? Has anyone tried this? I might try it with some water tonight to test my theory, unless someone here knows for certain it will not work, or that there is a high likelihood of failure. I am thinking 2-3 psi is all I will need for the transfer.

Wow, shows that even after 3/4 of a year on here I can still be a total n00b and forget to check the search feature..... idiot.

For the record, yes you can use CO2 pressure to transfer. The safety check is that the carboy cap will pop off before the glass breaks if you get a little over-agressive with your pressure.

cheers, I need a beer.

Back