new brewer here need your advice!!! whiskey in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
ok just started brewing for the first time ive read the books and watched the videos brewed one batch so far and am starting a second. That aside i have a couple of questions. first i have been reading about adding whiskey to my batch, when is the best time to add it? its an ipa. my beer is close to bottling day i was hoping for some tips with the adding process. can i just pour it in? do i have to add less sugar? and can i use honey instead? thats it any help is much appreciated and if you cant answer all of them thats fine too. thanks so much.

You can use honey instead of sugar to bottle with , use 1/2 cup of honey boiled in a cup of water. I've heard people say they've added whiskey in the secondary, how much u add depends on youre taste. Try taking a sample from the carboy and adding a few drops of whiskey see what u think. But since u just started brewing you should probably stick to the recipe and get some good beers out, and get the process down Sometimes the experiments can go bad, wouldn't want you getting discouraged.

Personally I don't think I would like the flavor but dont add until most of the fermentation is completed, say a week or so into the secondary. This would be to thwart any possibility of killing of the fermentation process of the yeast, too much alcohol is not a friend of the yeast. I agree with rellty in that you should try a sample batch. Some people split the batch in to 5 1 gallon glass bottles and try something different in each. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back