Hops system (chime in with notes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
Here is a design I have worked out in my head and put on paper:
HopsPullysetup.jpg

The 9 foot reference is to show that the space between the planter and the bathroom window. I have 7 feet to work with basically.

The gray bar up top is not a fixed plan yet. I'm undecided whether to use metal or treated wood. My fear of using wood is warping. This bar will be fixed to the South side of my house with 3 brackets: Left, Middle, Right.

Attached to the device will be 3 pulleys. The rope I will be using is polypropylene all purpose rope. I have 50ft worth, but I doubt I need all 50. It's also purple, which is why I added the purple to the pulleys :ban:

Each end of rope per pulley will be tied to stakes that will mark the hops.

The brown bar on the bottom is the planter I am using. Unfortunately I am not allowed to use the entire space.

Chime in with any ideas or changes that might improve my design.:mug:

I don't think 9' will quite be tall enough, as even if you plant 9' away from the house you will only have a 12' run. Any way you could attach higher?

Unfortunately there is a window just above the spot I can hang it from and I can't allow the vines to go over it.

The seven feet you have to work with will probably be fine for planter grown hops. The confined space around the rhizome will inhibit vine growth and restrict the hop production. Wherever you plant them they will pretty much expand to fit the space available. I have some Willamette's growing up the back of my house and they reach 34 feet high with loads of cones all the way to the top.

Tom

Back