Nottingham Alc Tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I'm making a barley wine with a OG between 1.096 and 1.11. I ordered Notthingham because I thought I remembered it had a high alcohol tolerance. Today, I decided to check and now I can't find any info. There website says to pitch more yeast for high gravity brews but doesn't specify the tolerance. No luck using the search function on this website. Anybody have any experience? I plan on pitching two 11g packets. thanks

The Danstar Nottingham spec sheet says: "High attenuation, reaching a final gravity near 1008."

So if your gravity, at the high end you mentioned, was at 1.11, and it ferments down to 1.008 (I have a feeling your FG is going to be higher though, so less alcohol %), that's only 13.4% alc. If I remember correctly, I think Nottingham is good up into 15%-18%.
If you do happen to get up to 13.4%, and even maybe higher, I believe you should be fine. Nottingham should be able to handle it.

If I remember correctly, I think Nottingham is good up into 15%-18%.

Do you have any evidence of this number range? I'd be very skeptical. Most ale yeasts seem to be advertised in the 9-12% range, and only Scottish and Belgian yeasts get to the 12% mark. Yes, most yeasts will actually ferment a bit higher than their advertised range before dying, but not before creating a crazy amount of off flavors.

Yeah, it sounds like beninan is making an assumption that because he read it will go to 1.008 that it can handle as much alcohol as possible. I believe the 1.008 is a number achieved through many variables and doesn't only relate to alcohol tolerance. So does anybody have any evidence of nottingham going to 10 to 12%?

Notty should be good to about 12%. You might want to feed the sugars to it if you want to get that out of it, and not pitch it straight into a 1.110 wort. I get 82% attenuation from Notty (average). Obviously it depends on your fermentables, but you could have it take a 1.110 wort down to 1.022 if you treat it right. That would give you around 11.5% abv.

Do you have any evidence of this number range? I'd be very skeptical. Most ale yeasts seem to be advertised in the 9-12% range, and only Scottish and Belgian yeasts get to the 12% mark. Yes, most yeasts will actually ferment a bit higher than their advertised range before dying, but not before creating a crazy amount of off flavors.

No I don't have any evidence of that. I swear I read it somewhere though. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong. Or maybe where I read it was wrong.

Yeah, it sounds like beninan is making an assumption that because he read it will go to 1.008 that it can handle as much alcohol as possible. I believe the 1.008 is a number achieved through many variables and doesn't only relate to alcohol tolerance. So does anybody have any evidence of nottingham going to 10 to 12%?

The 1.008 was from the Danstar Nottingham spec sheet: www.homebrewit.com/Nottingham_facts.pdf (It's a PDF file). I wasn't saying your batch will ferment down that low, I was using that as a number reference, IF it fermented down to 1.008 and IF your OG was 1.11, that's 13.4%. I don;t think yours will end up that high, but even IF it does, I'm sure it will be fine.

I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but I'm sure others exist who have questions on Nottingham, and I have proof that it goes to at least 13.4 for anyone interested.
This is just the end of week 1 and you can see from the pic the yeast is far from floc'd.
I'll update each week as I measure until it quits coming down.
I made a 1L overnight starter from 1 dry pack of Nottingham and the only aeration was pouring from the kettle valve to the carboy through a funnel.

Originalgravity..jpg

week1.jpg

Numbers.JPG

New readings 1 week later. Next reading in October as I am going to bulk condition.

06-29-14.jpg

calculations.JPG

12-14-14 Didn't get anymore out of this one but I am impressed considering I used no starter just a re-hydrated pack. I did hit 14.3% though.

12-14-14.JPG

What is that calculator? Looks very confusing. You entered 1.030, but it says SG - 1.047.

1.124 to 1.030 is a drop of .094, which will give you about 12.5% abv, not 14.3%.

Well that is what that calculator says. But when I run the same numbers thru BeerSmith, it comes up with 12.4%.

I think there is something wrong with that calculator.

Well that is what that calculator says. But when I run the same numbers thru BeerSmith, it comes up with 12.4%.

I think there is something wrong with that calculator.

yep I'm gonna agree, I ran several different calculators today including beersmith and they were all in the 12% range except brewcalcs

andy's.JPG

beersmith.JPG

Brewers friend.JPG

daves dreaded.JPG

Homebrewdad.JPG

yep I'm gonna agree, I ran several different calculators today including beersmith and they were all in the 12% range except brewcalcs
The ABV calculation is not linear. Use the "alternate" calculator on Brewer's Friend to get a more accurate ABV calculation at that high of a starting gravity. Using your numbers it spits out 14.25%:

Alternate Formula:

A more complex equation which attempts to provide greater accuracy at higher gravities is:

ABV =(76.08 * (og-fg) / (1.775-og)) * (fg / 0.794)

Also, I'm glad you're seeing numbers like this. I have plans to brew a 3 gallon batch of Imperial Stout soon that should be about 1.120 OG and I was hoping to get it around 14% ABV with Nottingham. I'm going to age 1 gallon on bourbon-soaked oak chips, 1 gallon on rye-soaked vanilla bean, and either leave the last gallon as-is, or age it on something else (coffee, cacao nibs, rye-soaked blackberries, pinot noir-soaked oak chips).

The ABV calculation is not linear. Use the "alternate" calculator on Brewer's Friend to get a more accurate ABV calculation at that high of a starting gravity. Using your numbers it spits out 14.25%:

Also, I'm glad you're seeing numbers like this. I have plans to brew a 3 gallon batch of Imperial Stout soon that should be about 1.120 OG and I was hoping to get it around 14% ABV with Nottingham. I'm going to age 1 gallon on bourbon-soaked oak chips, 1 gallon on rye-soaked vanilla bean, and either leave the last gallon as-is, or age it on something else (coffee, cacao nibs, rye-soaked blackberries, pinot noir-soaked oak chips).

I might have gotten higher but I racked off the cake early while it was still bubbling. I should have waited a couple more weeks.

Way to revive a dead thread. Though this thread made me feel better about pitching two packs of notty into my 1.108 beer! If I hit the low 30s I will be ecstatic!

Back