carboy cap as opposed to an airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imabulldogg

Reaction score
hey all,
I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been posted before(search produced no results); has anyone used a carboy cap with a tube in sanatizer as opposed to an airlock? I bought the wrong stopper so this was an"improvise and overcome" thought....Thanks

hey all,
I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been posted before(search produced no results); has anyone used a carboy cap with a tube in sanatizer as opposed to an airlock? I bought the wrong stopper so this was an"improvise and overcome" thought....Thanks

It will work fine.

I don't bother with stoppers any more, carboy caps are easier and more versatile. The orange ones fit Better Bottles perfectly.

Carboy caps are great, I love to push beer from the carboy to the keg with a racking cane. Closed system and no air getting in during transfer you got to love that.

Some are loose and some are tight. My red one tends to be tighter than my orange ones. However, you don't need an air tight "stopper" on the carboy, so a cap should work just fine.

So are there different manufacturers of these caps? I've got six orange ones, and they all fit very snugly on my better bottles, definitely airtight.

There must be wide tolerances on these things, although it's strange I have six that fit tightly.

Thanks to all for the answers; the one I have is orange and fits tightly around my bb carboy. I am returning to brewing after an 8 year hiatus so I am learning all kinds of new stuff. (star san, no secondary on ales, siphoning help) I also want to thank the forum, I have been reading the last couple days and have learned a lot, Thx.

Latest posts

Back