I switched the DME/LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
I brewed a Brewers Best kit on Saturday that I had purchased at a LHBS that was going out of business. I hadn't done an extract in a while so without thinking when I read to put the LME in first I grabbed the dry malt and put it in, boiled for 40 minutes then put in the liquid for the last 15. I'm not worried about it, but just curious what you guys think how this will affect the taste? It was an American Ale.

You won't be able to tell the difference in taste and if anything it wound be a tad lighter in color due to less caramelization. No worries.

Cool, thanks guys. I didn't think it would be a big deal. We hadn't even cracked open the first beer yet when I put the dme in! thanks again

I brewed a Brewers Best kit on Saturday that I had purchased at a LHBS that was going out of business. I hadn't done an extract in a while so without thinking when I read to put the LME in first I grabbed the dry malt and put it in, boiled for 40 minutes then put in the liquid for the last 15. I'm not worried about it, but just curious what you guys think how this will affect the taste? It was an American Ale.

I believe what you did is what you are "supposed" to do.

If you added them the wrong way around, and the gravity points of each was different, the only difference in the beer will be in hop utilization. You will still have beer, just a bit different of a hop profile.

Back