first non recipe brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecad

Reaction score
Ok this is my first time not using a kit or following some one's recipe. This is what I came up with:

1LB BRIESS 80L CRYSTAL MALT
1LB BOHEMIAN PILSNER
1LB BRIESS DME PILSEN
3.3LB BRIESS LME GOLDEN LIGHT
1OZ SOVEREIGN UK PELLETS 5.7% AA
1OZ SUMMIT PELLETS 17.2% AA
1 TSP IRISH MOSS
WYEAST 2035 AMERICAN LAGER

2 ½ gallons of water in brew pot heat to 145* - 160* F
Mix all grains in large coarse bag
Steep grains for 30 minutes
Bring to boil
Remove from heat add DME and LME
Add Sovereign Hops begin 60 minute boil
After 45 minutes add Irish Moss
After 50 minutes add Summit hops
After 60 minutes end boil
Cool to 80*F
Add water to 5 Gallons
Add yeast

og is about 1.040

I'm not rying to make any particular style of beer just mixing things together to see what happens. Any comments would be helpful.

Your pal,
The Cad

I'd shoot for recipe guidelines when you start writing your own recipes. They give you direction. And it makes it a little more predictable. But looks good.

that's what i'm doing now. I just had the wild urge to make a creation while at the brew store one day.

I'd agree with Double D. But you will make fine beer with this recipe, so long as your technique is good. Maybe something kind of like an americanized octoberfest, with the dark crystal toffee/roast flavors replacing the melanoidins and american hops featuring prominently.

The bohemian pilsner probably won't add anything to the brew; that's a mashing grain. As a base grain in simple pilsner-malt centered beers such as helles or pilsner it can make the subtle difference between good and great. At the rate of a pound in a steeped grains batch with dark crystal it won't show up. But it won't hurt anything either.

After evaluation of the final product this brew came in under powered but clear and tasty. I think the ABV was affected by the grains not being milled (had to do it myself with a soup can, probably not the most effective way) I will tweek this recipe and post the results. thank you all for your help.

your pal;

THE CAD

Latest posts

Back