Never Say Never

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
Well, Saturday 10/22/05 was my wedding day. My homebrew was a hit with those who like beer and brought polite comments and wrinkeled noses from those whose palates are conditioned to American light beer.

My youngest brother really liked it a lot but caught hell from his SWMBO and my mother for not eating anything at the reception prefering to drink his lunch. Only 6 pints or so on an empty stomach. :drunk: I created a monster when I gave him his first bitter shandy in an English pub when he was only 15. He loves beer more than me and I really love beer.

Here's some pics from my wedding:

img000000.jpg

img000002.jpg

img000001.jpg

img000004.jpg

The beer, social lubricant. I'm having a good time.

img000005.jpg

That's my brother in the shaddows behind us in that last pic sucking the suds.

Oh phew, I'm not the only one to wonder what that term means... I keep wondering but don't want to be the one to ask. Anyway... awesome, a wedding in costume, great!

Windaria said:
Oh phew, I'm not the only one to wonder what that term means... I keep wondering but don't want to be the one to ask. Anyway... awesome, a wedding in costume, great!
She Who Must Be Obeyed

SWMBO n. a woman in authority; a wife.
Categories: English Acronym
Etymological Note: she who must be obeyed. The information in the 2004 cite is likely correct as to the popularization and pronunciation of this term, but the earliest use and probable origin is in the H. Rider Haggard novel She.
Citations: 1986 Geoffrey Kenihan Advertiser (Adelaide, Australia) (Oct. 17) “L’Epicurien Advertising Supplement”: But to business. She Who Must Be Obeyed began with Soupe de Poisson Bretonne.…SWMBO and I can rarely agree about anything these days, so we settled for peaceful co-existence and a half bottle each to accompany our main courses. 1990 Toronto Star (Apr. 9) “Judi Salem, 52, managed law office” p. A11: Judi Salem was affectionately known as SWMBO—She Who Must Be Obeyed. 2004 [Grung] SWIMBO (Canberra, Australia) (July 1) “Idj’s SWMBO”: SWMBO. It’s pronounced “swimbo.” While we might be able to take credit for the initialism and pronunciation, the phrase is actually a phrase Idj first heard and read in the John Mortimer series “Rumpole of the Bailey.” In it, Rumpole refers to his wife as “She Who Must Be Obeyed,” and, yes, you can hear the capitalization just as Idj wrote it.

Wild

It's great being able to frolic with the wenches at the fair with the wife taking pictures. If you ever do a renfair be sure and go in costume. You get to play. :D

Pampered2.jpg

Getting pampered by the Itialian maidens in togas. Mighty fine.

Roseandme.jpg

Rose the pub wench pulling me to her bosom. What could I do but smile and thank God for friendly wenches.

IrisRoseandme.jpg

Iris and Rose, pub wenches and lewd commedians.

Back