Bleach...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
Ok so I'm sure that this has been answered before but I can't find it using my phone. I may not have the opportunity to get any no rinse sanitizer before I bottle, so what's the "recipe" for bleach, water, vinegar as a no rinse sanitizer? I know not to mix the bleach and the vinegar directly.

1oz bleach, 5gals water, 1oz distilled vinegar

In that order. This is a no-rinse concentration per Charlie Talley (5-Star Chemicals). I don't recall the contact time.

Cool, so I can adjust that to make a smaller batch each time. Anyone know a contact time? Most are pretty much on contact right? Spray/dip, drain, use...?

i would never advise using bleach as a no-rinse. no ifs, ands or maybes- your beer is going to taste like bleach to people like me who are sensative to chlorine. i would wait for a better sanitizer, or even dump my beer strait down the drain, before i used bleach.

If you are using new glass, you can just rinse it. You won't see every commercial brewery sanitizing their new glass. Some will put peracetic acid in their twist rinser, but that is about it. When I worked at Bell's in the late 80s we actually cleaned new glass by hand with a Jet Bottle Rinser... no issues.

A quick dunk in a standard bleach solution, followed by a shake then a rinse is also fine if the glass is used, but visibly clean.

Dishwasher works greats. I would throw a few ounces of bleach in the thing, turn it on a normal cycle with heated drying and go... Again, this is if glass is visibly clean.

Fact is, that post fermentation 99.9% of your infection risks are over. I wouldn't agonize over using a no-rinse santi on my bottles.

Back