sudden ambient temp drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBuffoon

Reaction score
i could use some help. i have just branched out from beer and am trying my first wine. im making a world vineyards chilean merlot. the weather here has been great the last couple weeks, so we have shut off our ac/furnace and house has maintained around a steady 70-72 degrees. I pitched my yeast on 10/1. Last night we had a cold front come in and by morning the house was down to 60. SWMBO was immediately cold and the heater came on so now back to a steady 67-68 ambient room temp. From brewing beer, i know this is the kind of swing that can shock yeast. primary fermentation was vigorous but starting to slow down since it was coming up on a week of age. i had planned to give it another week before racking to secondary. Now most of my activity has stopped. i'm sure this is pry normal and it's still finishing fermentation just fine, but the sudden temp change was enough to make me paranoid that it has stalled out. any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!! For now, i plan to just go on as normal and take a sg reading every few days to determine when i want to rack into secondary. Thanks!!

It all depends on what yeast is used as to whether or not the droo will shock your yeast. It is quite common as you say for activity to slow after just five days. You may want to check your S.G. just to see where you are. That kit you picked makrs a nice wine...tasted a two year old bottle, yum!

i know it came with a red star yeast....wanna say the premier cuvee, but not 100% certain of that.

WildBuffoon said:
i know it came with a red star yeast....wanna say the premier cuvee, but not 100% certain of that.

I'm sure the temp swing slowed the yeast, but you'll be fine. Check the SG, if it's close to 1.000 or so, go ahead and rack into the secondary.

Remember that even though the ambient temperature dropped, it takes a LONG time for 6 gallons of liquid to drop to ambient temperature. I have a stick-on thermometer on the outside of my carboys, and it makes it really easy to monitor the actual temperature of the wine.

But if it was only one day, there is no way the liquid inside dropped to 60 degrees from 70 degrees in a 60 degree room.

thanks for the quck responses!! yooper- that makes a lot of sense about time it takes to change temp of 6 gallons. And since primary fermentation pry even had it over the 70 deg closet, i doubt it cooled much at all. i'll just keep an eye on the gravity readings to rack over!!

Back