My Wyeast pack burst, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumnart

Reaction score
So I just got home from the LHBS (2 hours round trip) and I wanted to get a starter going for the first time. I smacked the wyeast pack in the palm of my hand and the package gave way in the corner, spewing yeast and nutrient on the kitchen wall. I would guess that there is probably 1/2 a package left and I sprayed sanitizer on the opening approx 15 mins after the package burst. Do you guys think I can salvage any of the yeast, by continuing with the starter process, or do you think that the possibility of infection is too great. Thanks in advance.

make a starter with whatever is in the bag. or you that back up dry yeast you have in the fridge.

My LHBS likes me to smack it there if its possible to help in situations like this. If you don't smack at the store you need to buy some dry yeast. I always have a pack in my fridge for just in case.

I didn't smack it too hard IMO, but I think most of the force went to the bottom corner and it blew out. What dry yeast should I get/keep on hand?

Was the pack already opened in the package? I've never quite heard of the pack breaking with a first smack. I'd be inclined to think maybe the inside pack was already popped and put stress on the seam where it burst in ur hand. Also, how did the yeast smell? I think if it smells ok, u'd be alright using it as a starter but maybe let it go for a bit longer then normal to bring the numbers up so u don't under pitch it.

I didn't smack it too hard IMO, but I think most of the force went to the bottom corner and it blew out. What dry yeast should I get/keep on hand?

for any pale ale or ipa you can't go wrong with Safale US-05 or 04. no starters at all, hell, i just dump it in dry and it works great. sometimes i rehydrate but not very often.

Back