Cerveza Quinceanera

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP051 - California V
Yeast Starter
2L (or 2 vials)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
75+
IBU
Color
18 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14d @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21d @ 68F
Tasting Notes
I\'d rate it in the high 30s right now, with potential for mid-40s, if it ages well
12.0 lbs. U.S. 2-row pale malt 2.0L
3.75 lbs. Marris Otter (U.K.) 3.0L
1.5 lbs. Munich 20L
1.0 lbs. Crystal (U.S.) (80L)
0.25 lbs. Special B (180 L)
1.5 oz. Summit (16.5%) - 75 mins (FWH)
1.5 oz. Centennial (9.5%) - 20 mins
1.0 oz. Cascades (5.5%) - 15 mins
1.0 oz. Cascades (5.5%) - 7 mins
1.0 oz. Ahtanum (6.0%) - 7 mins
1.0 oz. Cascades (5.5%) - 3 mins
1.0 oz. Ahtanum (6.0%) - 0 mins
1.0 oz. Cascades (5.5%) - 0 mins
1.0 oz. Ahtanum (6.0%) - Dry hop (7 days)
1.0 oz. Cascades (5.5%) - Dry hop (7 days)

Mash with 1.25 ratio @ 152F until conversion complete. Split batch sparge to achieve target OG (will need to boil off accordingly).

Carbonate to 2-2.3 volumes of CO2 (as desired). Age for at least six months

-----

This is my version of the 9-9-9 Barleywine. At 5 months, it is quite nice, but still hot and rough around the edges. Still it is very drinkable - well-balanced, malty but finishing dry, and with remarkable hop character. By accident, I poured myself a half-liter of this stuff recently (I meant to pour another beer with very similar color), and I drank the whole bad-boy without having to try all that hard. By the time it reaches 9-9-09, it should be in great shape. It will be tough to let it last so long. Thank goodness for a large stash of 2007 Bigfoot.

When I brew this again, and I will, I do not see changing anything. The California V yeast is key to the balance, as it gives the malt character a little more lift and moderates the hops. I also see this aging very well.

However, I recommend against oaking this one, as that may clash oddly with the hops. If you do want to oak it, do not use fresh, American oak, as I do not see the sour, tannic notes from the such oak working well with this beer. Try to find some aged oak or, at least, some French oak, and use something with at least a medium char on it. Dark char is probably even better, and be reserved.

TL

Well, apparently, this did age well!

Barleywine_Medal.jpg

I can still hardly believe it.

I have to agree with what you said about this yeast, this is exactly why I use it as well. It attenuates well, is clean, but doesn't accentuate the hops like WLP001, if anything it actually mutes the hop bitterness a bit.

The trick with brewing it up, now, is finding some Ahtanum hops. Amarillo should work fine, though. Cascades also would work well, but then it would be durn near nothing but (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

TL

I am not surprised at all that you got a medal for it. That was a damn good beer! Super hoppy and floral even after a year of aging - all kinds of malt complexity behind it. I plan on brewing this early 2010 for next winter. I wish I could revise my score sheet to be a bit more readable though, but hey, lots of beer drinking that night.
Congrats :mug:

Back