Chocolate mead question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
I started a chocolate mead last night.
3 gallon batch, Costco clover honey, 10 pounds, and one 8 ounce package of Hershey's cocoa powder, three small cinnamon sticks, red star premier cuvee yeast and 3 tsp of yeast nutrient.

I put it all in a carboy and slapped an airlock on it, wasn't thinking ( buddies were over and we were drinking)

It started fermenting very quickly, and now thick chocolate foam is pushing through the airlock. I have cleaned the airlock twice and gave up on it for now. I had a large cap from a 6.25 gallon demijohn loosely on top. I also put the whole carboy inside a 6 gallon bucket to contain the mess. When it slows down I'll put the air lock back on.

Question is: should I let it rock out the way it is. I'm going to let it age in the
carboy for at least a year. Or should I be concerned with losing so much chocolate flavor and adding more cocoa powder when the fermenting slows down?

I don't need a super heavy chocolate flavor but I would like to be able to notice it.

Thanks

I don't own one and the local store is closed today... I'm not too concerned about that right now, my concern is the chocolate flavor and if I should add more and if I do, when I should add it..

At the level you are using the chocolate will probably not be distinct. I find my taste buds need about 6 ounces per gallon to make it identifiable (YMMV). Adding more to secondary will be fine, but cocoa powder takes a long time to clear.

First question what is YMMV? Second question... So the chocolate is a wasted ingredient? Or you just wine know it is chocolate?

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary :)
At lower levels I find cocoa powder adds some character that just doesn't come out and say "CHOCOLATE." I wouldn't say it is wasted, but it just doesn't give enough character at less than 3 ounces per gallon to be distinct.

Thanks,
I'll probably leave this batch as is. Using more cocoa on a future batch.

Is a year enough for the cocoa to clear?

Hello
Dont use Cacao Powder.Use Oil or Alkohol with Cacao Flavor.Dont overfill the Bottle ,all you lose ,is a lose of flavor later.

Back