#1 5-gallon bottles at HyVee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeanean

Reaction score
Just to let anyone wondering know: I've found out that #1 or #2 5 gallon bottles are hard to find, but I found #1 bottles at Hyvee for $12. They're really only $6, but they come prefilled with water so you gotta buy the whole thing. I know not everyone might have a Hyvee, and not everyone's might sell these specific bottles, but just in case anyone had the same hell finding one as I did I thought the info might help. :)

My HyVee has empty ones, too, which you can refill at a RO filler thing they have.

Mine didn't have those :( They were only gonna charge me $2.10 for the refill without the bottle deposit! I told them I had to put down the $6 deposit, and there was all kinds of confusion cause it automatically wanted to charge me $12.99 for both the bottle and the water, so in the end they charged me $6 for the deposit and $2.10 for the water. A little over $8 for the bottle, which is about what I was originally planning on! Not bad, and much better than $20 or $30!

pardon my ignorance but i am assuming you are using these as a secondary? are they like the better bottle carboys? Thanks for clarifiying

I use these I've got mine for $3 :) also SAMs club has 4 gallon #1 PET bottles for $4 with purified water I use to wash my yeast

I got mine from the Belton Hyvee. The water bottle says "Pure Water Delivery" on it and it's the only bottle I have, so it'll be for both primary and secondary. I didn't know about Sam's club, I didn't even think of them! I don't know if they're like Better Bottles (I've never seen a BB). All I know is they're 5 gal, a #10 stopper fits them, and they're recycling #1.

For the record I only use these when doing a quick 2 week fermentation If I'm doing something long term for a month or more I will stick with glass....There are not better bottles they claim they plastic is more pure and blah blah...But it's the same thing IMO...

Back