Pale Ale Recipe help! (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need help coming up with a recipe for some hops I got for Christmas. I have Bravo, Magnum, Summit and Willamette. Yesterday I bought 6# of Pale Ale Extract and 1# of Crystal 60L. First and foremost I am assuming based on past beers I have made is the add the Extract and Crystal 60L at the start.
From what I have read Bravo is a Bittering and Aroma Hop. Summit is Bittering and sometime used as a Dry Hop. Also see that is usually used in IPA's. Willamette can be used as an Aroma and Moderate Bittering hop. Finally, I see Magnum is usually used as a Bittering Hop.

So, I don't have to use all the hops in the beer, but would love to do at least two of them, unless you guys feel one hop would be better to use as Bittering, Aroma, and Flavor.

Oh and I have Wyeast 1335, which is British Ale.

Thanks!

You can add the extract and crystal at the start, but you can add part of the extract towards the end so that you get better hop utilization during the boil. (Hop utilization is increased in lower gravity wort).

If you bitter with Magnum and throw some Willamette in towards the end, you can't go too wrong. Of course, the proportions you use will determine how hoppy your beer is.

I prefer a more american style APA, so I'd bitter with the magnum and late hop with the bravo. The 1335 will still be tasty, but if you've got a packet of US-05 laying around that'd be great. For a more british feel, go with the willamette for your late hops.

How much of the Magnum should I use at the start? 1oz? What about Bravo? Do it at 5 minutes? 1 oz? What about dry hopping?

daksin said:
I prefer a more american style APA, so I'd bitter with the magnum and late hop with the bravo. The 1335 will still be tasty, but if you've got a packet of US-05 laying around that'd be great. For a more british feel, go with the willamette for your late hops.

Why would Willamette make it more British?

So I am thinking something along the lines of:
Magnum 1oz 60min
Bravo .5oz 20 Min
Bravo .5oz 10 Min
Bravo .5oz 5 Min
Bravo .5oz Flame Out

Thoughts?

You can make a fine APA with your ingredients. It may not be exactly the BJCP style, as long as you ferment at the low end of the temp range to subdue the esters that 1335 will produce you can get a good American-ish pale. With those hops I would use the Magnum to bitter (Sierra Nevada uses Magnum) the Bravo for flavor and the Willamette for aroma. Summit can be citrusy but some also get a garlic/onion result- I have not used, so cannot recommend.

Back