Help! The Dark Side is Tempting Me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacketsfans

Reaction score
A fledgling needs your help, fellow brewers!

I began fermenting my English Brown Ale eight days ago, swearing to do everything John Palmer says to do in his book/site. Unable to resist a peek, I took a look/sniff through the airlock hole and it looks and smells amazing! Johnny Boy says to wait at least two weeks before bottling, but I can't get that smell out of my head. I feel like Austin Powers in front of a hot naked woman yelling to himself "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day!!!" over and over.

I implore you, my peeps, to steer me back to the path of Right...

take a hydrometer reading. drink the sample. that ought to tide you over for a bit, and give you an idea of where your sitting at the same time.

Time is your friend. I let all my ales stay in the primary for 3 weeks before I even think about kegging them.

So, sit back, drink some store bought beer, and wait for (at least) two weeks before you take your hydrometer sample and make sure that you're at your final gravity target before you even think about bottling this stuff. If you're not at your FG, sit back longer, drink more store bought beer, and wait.

I know, it sucks, but it'll be worth it! :tank:

take a hydrometer reading. drink the sample. that ought to tide you over for a bit, and give you an idea of where your sitting at the same time.

that made it worse for me! after my first sample last night I'm wanting to offer some samples to other people...try it again to see if anything has changed in the past 24 hours...bottle the sucker so I can pop it open ASAP!!!!

the sample was just a tease!!
;)

They have these things called "stores". In these "stores", there are things for sale in exchange for money. One of the things some "stores" sell is beer. Some good beer, some not so good. You should find a "store" and buy some beer to take your mind off things. :mug:

I know what you mean! My first batch is 10 days in the fermentor right now, and I can barely wait. I've taken a couple of hydro samples, and I have to keep telling myself that it is only going to get better with time! Patience... is an overrated virtue.

See... this is the ideal time to start batch number two (welcome to the addiction)... because you'll be preoocupied with batch two... and planning batch three and then all of a sudden you'll remember, "HOLY CRAP!!! BATCH ONE IS READY!!!!"

Don't do it! By the time it's aged correctly you'll only have a few bottles left and just regrets.

Been there...done that:p Like others said...go get some good beer (ones you've never had) and try some of those, and maybe you'll find a style you like and decide to make something similar. I have a frind who just got into brewing and he is WAY too impatiant...he only leaves his beer in the fermenter for 7 days, bottles and is poping them open in 7 more days cause he feels they are done and keeps passing them out. I try to tell him that they are still GREEN and need more time but he seems to know it all already.?

I have learned that patients is your friend and you will be happy to have patients on your side too:)

I think I'll follow the suggestion of getting something I haven't tried so I can get ideas for future batches. I know this hobby rewards the patient/lazy, which I thought would suit me to a "T." Who knew I would be neither when it came to brewing beer?

Nothing wrong with sampling at any time, but be aware that when you are swollowing a big chunky, slimie batch of yeasties....., you will soon realize it ain't quite ready yet.

See... this is the ideal time to start batch number two (welcome to the addiction)... because you'll be preoocupied with batch two... and planning batch three and then all of a sudden you'll remember, "HOLY CRAP!!! BATCH ONE IS READY!!!!"

+1!:rockin:
:mug:

I'd drink it all as fast as possible. Just stay close to the toilet.

We havn't heard back... He must have done this and crapped out his whole digestive tract.

:mug:
:ban:THIS, is the correct answer.:rockin: But if you must get some craft beer to drink while brewing 2nd&3rd batches.
:tank:

necromancy....:confused:
Oh yea:cross:, but i typed this already sooooo.....
~ "Bring out your dead(bonk)"
~ "Bring out your dead(bonk)"
~ "But i'm not dead yet!"
:cool:

Latest posts

Back