Simple syrup for a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
I'm outta DME and was just wondering, could I pitch yeast into a mixture of sugar and boiled water?

No, you need maltose sugars in your starter for the yeast to do their thing and propagate properly. You can go to an ethnic grocery and get cheap malt syrup to make a starter, search this thread for more info on that.

there is a malt beverage called malta goya you can use.

I've used Malta Goya and it works great and is very inexpensive. You can do a search for it here and see that a lot of people have done it!

Searching Malta Goya on here isn't getting me anywhere. I'm looking to use it for a starter on a smack pack, any ideas on how much to use? I only do 5 gallon batches.

I just made a batch using Malta India. 58 bottles plus I added a 1/2 gallon of water. Boiled and finished with a smidgen less than 5 gallons with a specific gravity of around 1.050.... Going to bottle this weekend.... Merry Christmas!

Crap! Typing on a iPadis making me crazy... I used a 1 liter starter and itq took right off.....

I just bought some at Kroger a few weeks ago on sale - 50 cents for 12 oz. bottle

Thanks all, was pretty easy to find. Ended up with Malta India, close enough. Used two 7oz bottles, let sit in my flask overnight to help de-carbonate a bit. Pitched smack pack in this morning, will check on it after work. Should I chill it a bit before I use it? Wanna make sure I don't decant yeast.

Latest posts

Back