ported better bottle plugging up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
anyone have an issue with the port plugging / not flowing very much? The first batch I did with this new bottle it worked fantastic. I pitched on top of the yeast cake, so this is now the 2nd batch in this same bottle without a cleaning in between.

I hooked up the hose, pulled the valve open and it started flowing, but I did get some yeast. It slowed down after awhile and ran VERY slow the entire racking. I had to lift the whole bottle up higher as the beer got lower and tilt it to get it to finish. I bet it took 15 minutes to finish moving all the beer.

The yeast cake was pretty well set in the bottom, so I wonder if it was plugging up the outlet. Maybe I need to tilt the whole thing in the opposite direction for awhile to let it slide out of the way? Or maybe, just not rack another beer into these containers?

Are you turning the spout inside up? I usually ferment with it down and then turn it up to transfer. I've had them plug before and I was able to blow into the top (I use a hose with an air filter on it) and that made enough pressure to push the muck through.

Are you turning the spout inside up? I usually ferment with it down and then turn it up to transfer. I've had them plug before and I was able to blow into the top (I use a hose with an air filter on it) and that made enough pressure to push the muck through.

Inside up?? I haven't had any coffee yet this morning, so I am not understanding what you mean. I should move the spout that is on the inside of the bottle up? how do I do this?

It should have come with a white plastic "tab" that goes on the outside that you line up with the pickup on the inside. Then when it's full you can spin that tab up which should move the pickup even though you may not be able to see it.

racking_adapter_fade_wine.jpg

ah-haaaaa..... i bought mine already assembled and that tab is on the inside......

I was just trying to crank it by hand.

looks like I'll be taking it apart to correct that. Thanks for the info!

Back