What is this glass piece of equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsabra11

Reaction score
Hi. First time posting. New homebrewer here. I have done 3 5-gal batches and so far, so good. Just moved to Gainesville, and this nice guy who I bought a bike from gave me some remnants from when he used to brew mead. Other than the waaaaaay old yeast, I was familiar and had used everything he gave me except for this one piece. Do you know what it is? I've never seen one? Description below:

Glass, approximately 5" tall, probably .75 cm diameter going up from the small spout until it branches out to a wider part for the last inch. There are numbers marked on the side, and they go from 0 to 5 to 10 to 15 to 20, but are spaced unevenly. Very thin opening through the middle. Maybe this is to test thickness/viscosity?

If you send me a message I can send you a picture. Thanks in advance, and happy brewing.

:mug:
Danny

Hydrometer? Like this...

Safety%20Blue%20API%20hydro.JPG

Yeah welcome dsabra11, and Double how does that vino-o-meter work?

This is a copy and paste for another site but it is how I have used a Vino-O-Meter in the past.
" This device can be used to directly measure the final alcohol in a wine. To use put a small sample of the wine in the funnel end, the wine will run down the capillary tube and start to drip from the far end. Wait until a few drips have come through and then turn the Vin-O-Meter upside down and place on a flat surface. The wine will drop back along the capillary tube and where it stops against the index is a direct reading of the percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV). If you put undiluted wine into the Vin-O-Meter the reading is a direct measurement of the alcohol content. However for a more accurate reading the wine can be diluted 50:50 with water, in which case you need to DOUBLE the reading. The range of the scale for undiluted wine is 0 to 25% ABV but clearly this can be extended by diluting the wine. Solids and particles in the wine can affect the reading. The unit should be thoroughly cleaned after use."

Back