Where do bugs hang out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Say you have a sour (Lambic/Flanders) that is 6 months old. By that time the sacc has mostly dropped, the Brett is still growing and the Pedio and Lacto are also slowly growing. What is the Sherry flor doing?

Where are the bugs and yeast living. Where is the Lacto, Brett, Pedio, and Sherry flor? Would you get better results using some of the liquid to inoculate another batch, or some of the cake?

I am trying the re-use of a spiral oak dowel. I would imagine anything from the previous brew would have a mix of all the bugs used, but not positive.

It is my understanding that microbes tend to migrate to where the conditions are most favorable for them. Brett likes oxygen, so it would tend to head toward the top (pellicle), while Pedio likes oxygen at lower than atmospheric concentrations, so it tends to be further from the surface of the wort. In reality all the microbes are throughout the whole wort/sediment, but they’d be more numerous in the areas where the conditions suit them best. Taking a few ounces of the beer, oak, or yeast cake would all be effective ways to pass microbes from one batch to the next.

Latest posts

Back