When adding DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy

Reaction score
So the last batch I made, I had something like 5 lbs of DME. It took me almost half an hour to add all this to my water after getting it to boil (I did turn off the heat while adding). I've noticed that while adding DME, the stuff is so fine that it instantly wants to clump to itself, and cling to the bag it's in. Does anyone have an ideas to mediate this issue? I was afraid to just dump it all in at once, and have it clump together in the hot water. I suppose I could try that, but I'm curious how others add their's.

:mug:,
Frenchy

I just dump it in and stir. The heat will dissolve any clumps that form.

It dissolves just about as fast as it clumps. The one thing I would do is first put it into a bowl or something that you can dip into the pot. That way when it clumps to it, you can rinse it right off into the pot.

Also, you are right to cut the heat, and you should stir really well while pouring too. I usually leave the heat off for a few and stir all the way to the bottom to make sure I get it all dissolved, but I am probably going to the extreme.

OK, thanks for the tips. I had considered putting the DME into another container for ease of pouring, but hand't tried yet. I guess I was being overly cautious when adding the DME to the water.

Well, youre adding it to the boil, so anything you dip into it will be OK. As far as being cautious, we all are in the beginning, and better to be too cautious than not enough.

lol super annoying when the steam coming out of the brew kettle is causing the DME to clump up on the side of the bag.

I'm going to use the "pour it into a bowl" idea, and then I can always pour some water into the bowl to rinse it out - much easier to do this than trying to get the stick residue off your hands and/or off the sides of the bag.

Back