Jay Leno Should Retire So Conan Doesn't Walk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
Jay Leno Should Retire So Conan O'brien Doesn't Walk.. Leno has had his time, let coco have his.

I loved last night when Conan said, "Kids, you can do anything you want to do, unless of course Jay Leno wants to do it too"

nah let conan walk. jay leno keeps his time and Jimmy Fallon moves up would be a much better move IMO

I don't watch any of these guys. There is still better stuff on cable if you search hard enough and don't mind being edumacated a little. ;)

Conan can't leave. Hairspray sales would plummet, markets would crash, Ozone would regenerate. It'd be chaos.

And it might actually make a space for something worth watching.

NBC is in love with Leno. This will be the second former Late Night host they have alienated in favor of Leno. Conan and Dave should join forces to create a Leno/NBC killing machine.

I dont watch either cause leno isnt funny and I get up too early to stay up for Conan. But I agree that Leno needs to let it go cause Conan is way better

I don't watch any of them. I'd rather watch reruns of "Two and A Half Men" after the news.

Jimmy Fallon is not funny. It makes me mad watching him. Leno needs to retire. Conan just needs more time to get his ratings up like Leno had.

Hopefully they'll both leave so it'll cause a nice financial blow to Comcast (who bought out NBC).

Anything to hurt Comcast is OK in my book. :D

The Hitler clip is an internet meme that’s been going around. People just change the subtitles for whatever, they’re pretty good. This one is of Hitler’s reaction to hearing about the change in NBC’s late night lineup. Pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Fallon has never been funny, ever. How he gets paid to be funny remains a mystery to me.

I cannot believe Jay Leno has enough clout to get both Dave Letterman and Conan kicked out of their rightful jobs. He must have given some pretty good blow jobs in his time at NBC.

NBC continues the fail wreck they have become IMO. This will destroy the franchise of Late Night. Everyone was ready for Leno to leave... which is why his prime time show failed.

I know, lets bring him back and alienate a huge amount of our viewership! That'll win 'em over!

idiots....

Jay Leno is a smarmy ****** bag that has long outlived his usefulness. I can't say Conan is any better but at least he doesn't strike me as a pedophile. The should fire all of them and get some decent, mainstream talent.

i could give a rats ass who is doing the tonight show I haven't watched it since johnny Carson left. Don't think any of them are funny at all.I am already asleep anyways by the time they come on

I think Jay is funnier but that is just me. I was sad to see him leave the tonight show but glad he still had a show and I could go to be earlier. Not that his new show was better, but still a show. Conan relies too much on making funny faces to be funny IMO.

But, I think it would be too awkward for Jay to return to the tonight show but that was not the plan I saw. It was just to push the tonight show back 1/2 hour and Conan keeps the tonight show. But IMO a 1/2 Leno show would be silly.

I hate to see him leave but under the circumstances if Jay can't make the show he has work he should retire. Now remember, this is what the network is suggesting not Jay, Conan or any of them.

Looks like Coco is done. Too bad. I will miss him. A choice between David and Leno, I will just opt to read.

45 Million I heard they offered him to walk. Sucks to be him I guess.

Also heard he bought "Conan on Fox".

I read he is giving about 10M of it to supplimnet what his staff is getting from the network severance package AND it sounds like he will have another show and probably rehire his staff. Maybe not so bad off as it looks.

Goodbye Conan, Goodbye Leno, Hello Carson Daly. Just kidding he is the the worst or second worst talk show host I have ever seen. The other person that i am thinking about is Adam Carolla.

I'd thought Conan was a breath of fresh air compared to Leno, well before last week. Jay just comes across to me as a giant *********.

Incidentally, having Robin Williams on last night was a great move. I'll watch Conan's last show tonight for sure.

I have been reading some news on this and I think what everyone needs to remember is the decision for all of these changes are of the network based on ratings. Conan rejected their new plan and Jay accepted what he was offered. The network was not going to keep Conan where he was. Maybe they didn't give him enough time but that was their decision. If anything people should be upset with the network executives not Jay Leno. I do not see it his fault this played out like it did.

Favre. That is all.

While I love this comment, it does bring up the point that Jay Leno never wanted to retire, and that some people miss a key point to this story:

NBC and Conan signed a deal back in 2004 that Conan would take over in 2009 weather Leno wanted to retire or not.

While I love this comment, it does bring up the point that Jay Leno never wanted to retire, and that some people miss a key point to this story:

NBC and Conan signed a deal back in 2004 that Conan would take over in 2009 weather Leno wanted to retire or not.

NBC and Leno also signed a contract saying that he was going to quit and let Conan take over. Leno publicly announced this on his show, shortly after his 5-year contract renewal.

[ame=http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6d1caacad1/jay-s-2004-announcement]Here's the actual announcement[/ame] from 2004.

I have been reading some news on this and I think what everyone needs to remember is the decision for all of these changes are of the network based on ratings. Conan rejected their new plan and Jay accepted what he was offered. The network was not going to keep Conan where he was. Maybe they didn't give him enough time but that was their decision. If anything people should be upset with the network executives not Jay Leno. I do not see it his fault this played out like it did.

The problem wasn't Conan's ratings. The problem was the local news ratings for 11pm were tanking because Leno sucked at 10pm. All the local stations were on a rampage because they kept losing ads for the 11pm news.

We watched Conan's last show last night. I think he's a very classy guy.

I started watching Conan when he did his very first Late Night. It took a while for him to hit his stride. But I always thought he was entertaining.

I doubt Leno will be able to recover the same level of viewership that he had pre-Conan, even back in the Tonight Show slot.

The problem wasn't Conan's ratings. The problem was the local news ratings for 11pm were tanking because Leno sucked at 10pm. All the local stations were on a rampage because they kept losing ads for the 11pm news.

Has anybody thought that the 11 O'clock news stinks. I don't watch it regardless of who's on before or after. It's just a regurgitation of the noon, 5, and 6 broadcast.

Besides I have a remote control and know how to use it. At least I think. Dam all those buttons.

I used to stay up every night for Conan (11:30 since I was in central time). Then I had to be up for school at 5:45, I am not sure how I did it. But, I would watch Letterman and then switch over to Conan. Leno is really not that funny, he just makes fun of people.

Leno has higher ratings at the moment because he appeals to the older crowd. He'll fade out soon and NBC will be sorry for screwing Conan.

It would have been nice to see Leno do the honorable thing. He's had five years to figure out what to do. Conan is the man for the job. I was hoping that this was some sort of NBC sick jock to get some spotlight on their shows, but now I see they are real idiots. When you've got a bunch of idiots somethings gonna get screwed up. Come on you idiots, please learn from this absolutely dumb ass mistake.

The Wall Street Journal has an interesting take on the matter, although I think it's meant as satire.

NBC Will Regret Appeasing Leno

By the way, this is a clear example of Godwin's Law. It's a little sad that the WSJ had to be the one to bring it up.

Dave

I think I read this in the Philadelphia Inquirer that Conan's ratings were 1/2 of Leno's in that timeslot for the Tonight show and Leno always had slightly better ratings than Letterman in the same timeslot. In other words Leno was #1 in ratings in that timeslot. I did hear about what you are saying but you can't ignore the fact they had a winning combination before the change. But since they did make the change I doubt things will ever be the same and probably a mistake to make the change back now.

Leno has higher ratings at the moment because he appeals to the older crowd. He'll fade out soon and NBC will be sorry for screwing Conan.

That may be true, especially since they made the change last year. But I was always a big fan of Johnny Carson and when he left the show I was 32 and he was 66 I think, so not everyone young associates with a younger host. Yeah, at this point I don't see putting Leno back and getting rid of Conan will do any good. I wonder who they will get to replace Leno now or will the show just be canceled and replaced with some other variety show? Probably not but that would be a shame for the Tonight Show legacy to die.

Back