Yeast and high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpale

Reaction score
I'm really a happy camper tonight- I mean , um... this morning! I just brewed a Scottish Wee Heavy using my own recipe run through Beersmith and missed my target OG by only one point. Target was 80 and measured was 81.

Just switched for this batch to a spanking brand new 4 gal kettle from a 2 gal and what a difference it makes. The kettle (I like the word kettle because it fits this one) has rounded sides, steel w/ a copper bottom and a domed lid - very 'old country' looking. I think I may have to name her ;)

Anyway, I'm waiting for the batch to cool down in the fermentor before I pitch and was wondering about high OG beers and yeast. I'm using a dry yeast, Safale - S04, and I don't know whether I should pitch two pkgs or if just the one would be sufficient - and hold the second unless it's necessary? I've read somewhat ambiguous information on this so far.

I doubt many are still up this late so i may have to go with my gut when the time comes.... but if anyone is still up and has any thoughts I'd really appreciate them:mug:

With high gravity ales, more yeast is a good idea, but one packet of safale-04 can do the job, just a longer lag time. So, either way, you'll be fine.

This was the first time at a larger boil volume (a little over 3 gls) for me and it took forever to cool as I don't have a chiller. Only got the yeast in around 6 AM. Just checked it and everything's bubbling away, happy as a clam. I decided to go with the one pkg and I'm holding the other in reserve.

Thanks.

Back