Can anyone point me to a tried & true quad for extract brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do 5 gal extract batches and I have had trouble finding a quad recipe that doesn't require re-calculating from a partial boil, or adds partial mash procedures.

As a new brewer, I want to minimize the number of changes I have to make, or new techniques I have to learn at a time. A recipe that someone can vouch for is also gold!

Many thanks in advance.

When I first started brewing and was doing extract batches I did one that was extract with steeping grains that was very good. In fact I still have a few bottles that are about two years old that are still excellent.

It was a 4 gallon batch because I had an empty 5 gallon carboy. You can scale it up easily for 5 gallons if you like.

Steep:

8 oz Caramel 40
4 oz Special B
4 oz Carapils.

3lbs Light DME at the beginning of the boil.
3.3 light LME at e end of the boil.

1oz Saaz at 60.
1 oz Styrian Goldings at 5 minutes.

1 lb Turbinado sugar boiled in a small amountof water, cooled added afterr fermentation slows. About 4 days.

3787 for yeast.

Ferment at about 70 for 4-5 weeks. Bottle and enjoy. It was good after it carbed up but continued to age very well.

It is on the light side for color so you could add D-90 or D-180 instead of the turbinado if you want it a little darker.
Easy recipe.

Back