How much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfreemyer

Reaction score
I'm doing my first non-kit brew tonight:

It says to use 4 gallons for the steeping water which seems fine, but it never says to add water to get it to 5 gallons like I'm used to. Should I just assume that I add water to 5 gallons after the main boil?

Also, I'm guess the 2 listings of Orange Peel below is a mistake?

==
Here's the basic recipe, it's from my lhbs. I don't know where they got it:

Paul's spiced porter
4 lbs Dark LME
3 lbs Pilsen DME

Grains
12 Oz Black Malt
8 Oz Crystal 120L
8 Oz Biscuit
4 oz Coffee Malt
2 Oz Special-B

Hops
1 oz US Magnum (60 min)
1 oz Mt. Hood (2 min)
1 oz Sweet Orange Peel (2 min)
1 tbs cinnamon (2 min)

Adjuncts
- 1oz sweet orange peel (2 min) (shown twice?)
- 1 cinnamon stick (secondary)
- 2 vanilla beans (secondary)

Does it list OG? You could plug it into a calc and figure out if it adds up. 7 lbs of extract sounds right for a 5 gal batch although that only puts you around 5 percent abv. If you go for 4 gallons you are up at around 6 percent.

Does it list OG? You could plug it into a calc and figure out if it adds up. 7 lbs of extract sounds right for a 5 gal batch although that only puts you around 5 percent abv. If you go for 4 gallons you are up at around 6 percent.

No OG provided, but it does say the alcohol is between 6.2% and 8%.

Sounds like I'm supposed to stick to 4 gallons.

Thanks

Download brew pal if u have an iPhone and put the recipe in its nice and easy it will tell u everything u need to know

Yeah, I have brewpal and its not bad. Does all the basic stuff and lets you adjust thjngs. Also that abv I have you was for the finished batch. I am betting this is actually going to finish as a 3 gal batch. I also think the oranges are not to be done twice.

Yeah, I have brewpal and its not bad. Does all the basic stuff and lets you adjust thjngs. Also that abv I have you was for the finished batch. I am betting this is actually going to finish as a 3 gal batch. I also think the oranges are not to be done twice.

Then I'm going to go ahead and add another gallon. I just pitched the yeast this morning, so it's not even bubbling yet.

Greg

Just adding water is going to totally change the flavor. I would call the lhbs and ask them what it is supposed to be. Or take a gravity reading you know it is supposed to be between 6 and 8. How much water did you end up with?

My fermenting bucket is marked in gallons. I was around 3.5, so I topped it off to 4 even.

But now a new problem! No active fermentation 24 hours since I pitched the yeast?

It's my first time to use a liquid yeast. I popped the inner bag and let it sit overnight, but bigger bag didn't balloon noticeably. I assumed that was normal and proceeded. 24 hours after pitching, no bubbles so I looked inside and the is no krausen.

My plan is to go the lhbs and have them give me a new yeast bag.

Does that sound right?

Thanks
Greg

Back