Fruit garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atek

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wasn't sure where to put this so I figured this would be a safe place. I'm having an issue with my fruit plants (blackberry and blueberry). The leaves are yellowing up and dying despite ample watering. It has been fairly hot (low 90's) and the plants on question do get the hottest part of the sun. I have given them some iron/sulphur but no change yet. I didn't give them much though. The odd thing is that both of the blackberry plants appear to be losing the vines they had when I planted them this spring with this slow yellow leaf thing but are growing new fresh vines that look pretty good albeit small of course. The blueberry on the other hand is just slowly declining. Here are some pictures

1. Blackberry #1
2 bb#1 close up
4 bb#2
5 blueberry close up
6 unaffected raspberry (gets morning sun and not hot afternoon sun.

image-3082180804.jpg

image-1544252295.jpg

image-1773589656.jpg

image-717340778.jpg

image-1132814134.jpg

Well it looks like the picture order got messed up with my phone here. The order appears to be as follows:
1. Blackberry #1
2. Blackberry #1 close up
3. Raspberry
4. Blueberry close up
5. Blackberry #2

its possible to over fertalise.
block direct sunlight for a week and see if they improve. direct sunlight on wet leaves will kill. only water verry verry early before sunlight or after dusk. stick your finger 2 inches into the ground, if its slightly damp comming out you dont need to water today
plant twice what ya want and after a year remove the weakest/deadest
http://www.essentialgardenguide.com/garden-fruits-problems/29/Blackberries/

Got it, I think you nailed it. I am not an early riser and the plants often get watered in the sun. I will block direct sun and most likely get a drip hose. This forum is really the best. Thank you!

to be honest i have not farmed in 10 years and never that variety but the bberries are designed for a cooler climate so that might be it. only tryin to help ya out a bit since no-one else replyed. dont take it as gospell.
when replanting i sometimes see the origional plant die as soon as the new shoots/leaves are established. as long as the newones are ok nevermind the old bit

Just to update you, you were exactly right. I started using a PVC watering "wand", more like a mini flood irrigation pipe, I made to soak the base with very slow moving water during the day. I've just been moving the wand around during the day to keep everything happily watered. Growth has been very good since doing this. The burnt vines aren't any better but they arent any worse either and the new growth is taking over the burnt stuff and looking good. Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Back