Could too much burton salts taint yeast for repitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Short story is I didn't do enough homework and put way too much burton water salts into DI in the IPA I made recently (1.5oz for 5g). Tasted it this morning before dry hopping and it had a definite salty after taste, I don't want to drink it. I won't. Maybe some college students would if I left it at a dorm.

Can I still re-use (part of) the US-05 yeast cake for another hoppy beer to replace this batch (as early as tomorrow), or could the yeast have taken in too much sodium or other minerals? I have plenty of dry US-05 but I prefer working with yeast in liquid form (also to save money). Thanks.

Salt can cripple the yeast, but if it fermented the batch okay, then it's good to go.

I would argue that anytime you stress the yeast the following generations are more likely to change. Is it for the better or worse I don't really know. Maybe only the stronger yeast survive or the salt loving yeast survive.

I'd start fresh.

Back