pitching ale yeast at low temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator1

Reaction score
I just cooled a batch (Annapolis HB IPA 60) and did not look at the temp before pitching, it was 65 F and the slap pack was around 75 F. Will this shock the yeast?

Actually, the pitching temperature was perfect, but the yeast was a little warm. I assume it was out of the fridge while it swelled, and that's how it got so warm. Ideally, they'd be closer in temperature but the yeast will recover.

I ferment most of my ales at 62-65 degrees, and that's perfect for almost all of them. Take a look at the yeast manufacturer's optimum temperature recommendations for your yeast strain, and do your best to keep the temperature under the maximum during fermentation. I like to pitch my yeast at around 60 degrees (yeast and wort the same temperature, or within a degree or two) and allow the wort to warm to my fermentation temperature (almost always less than 65 degrees).

Thanks for the info. I usually try and keep the yeast and wort the same temp before pitching. It was 88 in Maryland yesterday and had the slap pack out for a while.

i would love to know how this turned out.
i just brewed a batch (saison) and pitched 70 degree yeast into 64 degree wort...

Back