still or petillant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm entering my first cider into a local competition and I need to specify its carbonation level. If there is ANY carbonation, even if minimal, would that be in the "petillant" category?

For it to be "still", does it have to contain ZERO carbonation?

BJCP rules:

Dry: below 0.9% residual sugar, FG under 1.002
Semi-Sweet: 0.9% - 4.0% residual sugar, FG between 1.002 - 1.012
Sweet: above 4% residual sugar, FG over 1.012

Still: No or little carbonation
Petillant: moderate carbonation level
Sparkling: highly carbonated

Even dry still ciders will tend to have bubbles. The biggest distinction you can make is that a petillant cider normally continues to rise with carbonation without giving an obvious carbonation that comes with sparkling cider. Still cider will often have some small bubbles upon release, but quickly dissipate.

Thanks for the parameters, including the FGs for dry, semi-sweet and sweet. I didn't know these numbers existed - I thought it was all qualitative.

I have relatively persistent bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass when poured chilled, but no bubbles actually rise after pouring (except those dislodged from the sides during drinking). There is not even a millimeter of head upon pouring. Methinks this is "still" then?

Back