Thoughts on first IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynepresley

Reaction score
This is my first post, just like to say thanks to everyone here, I have got a ton of useful info here over the past few months...

So I started extract brewing and have just bottled my first batch on the weekend - a sierra nevada pale ale clone. everything went relatively well for my first go, OG of 1.045 and ended up with a FG of 1.010, can't wait to try it!!

For my next batch I want to try an IPA and am thinking of getting the American IPA kit from AHS. However, instead of Cascade I want to experiment a bit with Chinook/Centennial hops. So below is what the recipe looks like at the moment:

8 lbs LME
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L
1.25 lbs Special B

1 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1 oz Chinook @ 20 min
1 oz Chinook @ 10 min
1 oz Centennial @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial @ flame out

maybe dry hop with 1 oz of Centennial too

Let me know how this looks and I would appreciate any input/suggestions for improvement.

I'd cut the Special B out entirely, for two reasons. First, that's a dark malt, and will contribute a lot of color to the beer, making it a brown ale. Second, the flavor profile from Special B isn't what you want in an IPA, it adds raisin style flavors, I use it in all my Belgians.

I would cut the special b in half but looks good otherwise.

Also the cascade are more of a flavor/ aroma hop but yours will work too.

Yeah I was thinking of adding some Cascade too but I really wanted to experiment a bit and see how it turns out without it, then feature Cascade in my next IPA and compare..

I'd cut the Special B out entirely, for two reasons. First, that's a dark malt, and will contribute a lot of color to the beer, making it a brown ale. Second, the flavor profile from Special B isn't what you want in an IPA, it adds raisin style flavors, I use it in all my Belgians.

Yeah I'm not sure what exactly comes with the extract kit, I'm just listing what is on the AHS website, but it's helpful to know this. What type of steeping grains and how much are usually appropriate for an IPA?

For IPA's, it is usually Crystal malts that are added. For an extract recipe, I'd recommend a half pound of C20 or C40. For all grain, I go with 1 pound, but there are more unfermentables typically in extract than in all grain, so you'd use less.

BTW, what kind of LME are you using? If it's extra pale, you can stick with the C60.

ditto on the special b and crystal comments.

I would dry hop with at least 3 oz. I would include chinook as well, I love that hop.

Well i brewed this and just tried it. I'm so happy with how it came out. Delicious first IPA. Next brew is gonna be all centennial to see if i like it or not without chinook.

Back