First brew today. Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
Allright, I actually posted part of this in another part of the forum but I should have posted it here.
Questions are:
1. The yeast packet I have says "Brewers yeast" and that's it. No ale or lager or anything. Will this work for a brown ale?
Also do I need more than one packet?
2. For a starter should I proof the yeast after rehydrating or not? The howtobrew.com says to proof with sugar, but the joys of homebrewing book says not to. Anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks.

Dan

Yeah I tried to delete my original post but there wasn't an option. A couple other forums I frequent allow for someone to delete the thread. Anyway, sorry bout that.

Dan

Is this an extract only kit? Is it the yeast that came with the can?

I would suggest you buy a yeast that will add flavor and character...

When I used dry yeast I would just pour it into some OJ for a few hours and it would be fine.

Sephro said:
Is this an extract only kit? Is it the yeast that came with the can?

I would suggest you buy a yeast that will add flavor and character...

When I used dry yeast I would just pour it into some OJ for a few hours and it would be fine.
It's an extract brew but not a kit like you would think. Just some extract, yeast and hops. I bought some grains to steep and some finishing hops. I am just going to boil some water and throw the yeast in to hydrate then before I pitch I am going to proof with some regular sugar to make sure it's good.

My local shop has absolutely nothing as far as yeast goes. It's basically coopers brewers yeast. thats it.

Dan

You can order your yeast online or try to find another LHBS
http://***********/referenceguide/supplydirectory/west.html
is a decent list of them... But superpages.com works better for me...

Sephro said:
You can order your yeast online or try to find another LHBS
http://***********/referenceguide/supplydirectory/west.html
is a decent list of them... But superpages.com works better for me...
I've already found two really good online places. That's where i bought most of my stuff from. I just got this little tiny "Kit" from this local hippy place.
Well it's smelling nice...although things are taking a bit longer than I expected, which is a good thing. It's chocolatey brown and really nutty smelling. It's almost ready to boil so I need to go check.

Dan

Back