When is it time to move on to mini mash from extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The correct answer is there is no correct answer. Some guys stay brewing extract beers forever. Some take the next step to minimash sooner than others. Some skip it altogether and go straight to all grain. As long as you're comfortable with the process, feel free to take that next step. Good luck to you.

I would skip the mini-mash and go straight to all-grain. Since you will be mashing grain for a partial amount of the sugar you need for the beer, you might as well mash the entire amount needed. You will be using for the most part the same equipment.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

I moved to partial mash's after 3 extracts. It is a nice step up toward AG without a whole lot of investment in new equipment. Just $20-30 for a 2,3 gallon cooler or nothing if you use Deathbrewer's two pot method.

I would skip the mini-mash and go straight to all-grain. Since you will be mashing grain for a partial amount of the sugar you need for the beer, you might as well mash the entire amount needed. You will be using for the most part the same equipment.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1
I think doing a partial mash is a nice way to get used to the mash process without having to spend time/money on new equipment. Additionally, you're less likely to be too far off your target OG if something goes wrong with the mash, since there's still a fair chunk of fermentables coming from the extract. That alone makes it a nice, unintimidating stepping stone. Finally, a partial mash can be done with ease on a stovetop.

In sum, do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you feel like going straight to all-grain, go for it. If not, give partial mashing a try. And definitely consider DeathBrewer's method. Works great.

:mug:

If you want to do mini mash, go for it. I did about 3 then went to all grain.

All grain is easier then I thought. I do it in an apartment with two pots to boil in. If I can do it, anyone can.

mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

I have to agree with this. I went from Extract brewing for over a year to 2 batches of a mini-mash. Soon as the first one was done I built a MLT and used it for my 2nd mini-mash. I've done to AG since then.

The time it takes the steps needed is the same for a mini-mash as an AG so might as well go all the way.

Doing a mini-mash does take some of the apprehension away as adding extract is something in the comfort zone so take that into consideration.

Is it safe? :)

I moved to mini-mashes after exactly one extract brew. I did my first all-grain after over a dozen mini-mashes.

No one can tell you when it's time to change. It's what you want to do and what you feel comfortable with.

Some have given the advice to go directly to all-grain. I can't argue with that, but I do feel I benefited from doing mini-mashes first. You're working with a much smaller amount of grain, so efficiency isn't as critical. You can hone your process and see how you like it.

-Joe

do whatever your gear and space will allow you to do - the process is pretty much the same between AG and mini-mash.

It's not like stepping up from apprentice to Jedi Master....we're all just making beer. have fun with it and take it to what ever level you want!

I was totally satisfied taste-wise with my extract + specialty grain beers, but I just love the concepts and process so much that I really enjoy the 5-6 hours it takes to do an AG batch.

I did I think 3 extract batches (after a couple years of wanting to brew but not taking the plunge) then went straight to all grain, haven't looked back.

Basically - you're ready when you feel you are. Some never move past extract, some go straight to all grain.

Go for it man. I did 2 extract and then went all grain but I have to be honest, I just finished my 5th all grain and I'm still trying to get my system down. I get a little better every time and it does make it fun...the learning curve is steep for those first batches and you may mess a few up but personally I think it's worth it..learnign new things etc about brewing.

Go at your own pace and enjoy.

What I did was practice getting my steeping grains to mashing temperatures.

Once I was pretty confident about hitting 93F and 122F and so on I just went to a bigger pot.

Stove top I can handle ~5-6 pounds of grain, and using less extract gives me a beer that tastes better to me. Very few electric stoves can handle a boil over about three gallons or so.

It is inevitable that I will go all grain. But I live in Alaska, so nine months out of the year I pretty well have to brew indoors on my stovetop, even if I have AG equipment in the garage.

Back