Sunbeam Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with this hop? As per database above it prefers shadier places, which works perfectly in my back yard. Apparently its fairly Saazlike but researching around I cant seem to find experience from people that have used it or have gotten a yield from it.

Would be great on my fence out back.

Thanks

Ok, So I found more on it, some good some bad. I guess now I am wondering if anyone knows any other hops that work well in partial shade?? Basically thats what I have to work with, so sunbeam might go either way till i get my ass neighbor to cut down that beast of an ugly tree.....

Depends on how much shade and what you define as partial shade.

You can get 6 hours of full direct sun in the afternoon, and two in the morning and still only have 'partial shade' depending on which definition you're going by

I put it in full sun, and it did very well. It had 8oz of dry yield in 2013. I'm probably going to use it in a Belgian strong (dubbel, Tripel, quad). I ended up giving the crown to my mom. She liked the yellow leaves and red stems.

Last year was the first time I tried growing them , and my two plants came in pretty well. Growing conditions are shady until noon or so, but full sun the rest of the day. Given that they were first year I didn't get many hops, but I've also heard that the flavor/aroma is comparable to Saaz.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back