excellent drill for mill and SS on sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

I have used this drill for many holes in stainless and for driving a grain mill. Its marked down to 48 and there is a coupon til the end of the year for $40

coupon_zps8c7b9548.jpg

Yep after burning up my DeWalt 18V XRP Cordless milling grains, I went out and purchased that drill. No complaints at all. Thing works great.

Yeah, I have an older HF D-handle....it's a beast at 12 amps.....will break your wrist if you're not careful.

I have that same drill for my Schmidling malt mill. Works great. I did put a lovejoy coupler between the drill and mill shaft to eliminate wear. Noisy enough that ear protection is desirable.

Yep after burning up my DeWalt 18V XRP Cordless milling grains, I went out and purchased that drill. No complaints at all. Thing works great.

I've been using that exact same drill on my mills for almost two years now without any issue. Been powering my Monster Mill MM2-2.0 for almost a year. HOW did you manage to burn it up/out??

That's good to hear, because his post concerned me since I just got the 18V Dewalt for Xmas.

I've run mine on the low speed range (1 on the selector) and at about 1/2 trigger pull (to get it closer to about 250 rpm) for the batches. Sure, it's a torque monster, making use of the side handle a requirement, but it goes through 30+ pounds on a single charge.

IF you notice your drill getting warm/hot, let it cool. I've not, but that's not to say it couldn't. I suspect something was wonky with his drill from the start and the extra torque of using it on the mill just pushed it over the edge.

I've been using that exact same drill on my mills for almost two years now without any issue. Been powering my Monster Mill MM2-2.0 for almost a year. HOW did you manage to burn it up/out??

Good question. Up to that point I've been using it for almost 4 years. I'd set it to low speed (1) and pull the trigger about half way. I noticed it getting really warm (around the trigger). Then all of a sudden it started smoking out of the trigger and grip area. I stopped and hand milled the rest of the grain...PITA I might add....Once the mash started I tried the trigger again and the variable speed was gone. All or nothing. I used it like that for 2 weeks before it finally just quit working.

Good question. Up to that point I've been using it for almost 4 years. I'd set it to low speed (1) and pull the trigger about half way. I noticed it getting really warm (around the trigger). Then all of a sudden it started smoking out of the trigger and grip area. I stopped and hand milled the rest of the grain...PITA I might add....Once the mash started I tried the trigger again and the variable speed was gone. All or nothing. I used it like that for 2 weeks before it finally just quit working.

After about 4 years my 14.4v xrp smokes every time I run it. It's been relegated to the status of backup drill with a Milwaukee m12 doing most tasks and this harbor freight drill for most heavy duty tasks

I have that same drill for my Schmidling malt mill. Works great. I did put a lovejoy coupler between the drill and mill shaft to eliminate wear. Noisy enough that ear protection is desirable.

I'm intested in what coupling you used. I've been concerned about wear.

I see its still 47.99 and if I can find a decent coupon (assuming they accept) can maybe get this thing for around $40. I'm looking to upgrade to a drill for my Corona knockoff mill. Just need the drill and whatever bit.

I get Car & Driver (or is it Road & Track?) Anyways, every issue has a Harbor Freight ad with a 20% off coupon. If you get any 'guy' magazines, check to see if they advertise

If you subscribe to their coupon newsletter, you will be able to get this drill for $39 or less if you exercise some patience. It was on sale at that price again at the end of January.

It is a great grain mill drill. It ripped through a 19 pound grain bill using my Crankandstein in just a matter of minutes.

Back