Old Monster from BCS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I am currently home for Christmas break and would like to order the ingredients for this beer so they arrive when I get back. The only problem is that I left my Brewing Classic Styles book at home. Is there any way someone could list the ingredients for me (dont need the hops or yeast as I will be buying those from my LHBS)?
Thanks in advance
edit: it is the american style barleywine
edit 2: extract version (this should be my last ever extract beer, I would make this my first all grain beer but it is a pretty big beer to start out on)

Hmm. OK. I have another question about this beer. I have been told that a high gravity beer like a barleywine could benifit from a second injection of oxygen 12 hours after pitching. Is this true?

I've done 3 brew's with oxygen (since I have it, why not?)

I've seen recommendations for oxygen at 12 hour intervals x2, 4 hour intervals x 3-4 and a recommendation for 15 minutes x 1. (and recommendations for gizmo's to do constant slow bubble for the first day or more.

my barleywine (parital mash, extract, OG 1.135) went onto a 1 week old yeast cake (just after the ale went into secondary). I was planning oxygen every 4 hours until fermentation took off--it got 5 min of O2 at 1130am and 230pm, and at 630 the lid was lifting off on 2 inches of Krauesen.

So I don't know which is best, but the combination I used has worked really well. I'm within 4 points of my estimated FG after a week.

tim

For a view from the other side, I've not used O2 injections, and all my ales over 1.080 go onto a recent yeast cake from a 1.040-50 beer. I've not had any issues hitting expected FGs, the biggest concern has been keeping the temp under control during the crazy fermentation.

The recipe from BCS is:
16.7# Light LME
1# Corn Sugar
1# C15
1# C80
0.25# Pale Chocolate 200L
0.25# Special B

I plan on brewing this same beer next week. I'm really enjoying the Hard & Hardy I brewed last year, and looking forward to this one.

i'll second that lack of o2 thing. just finished up an IIPA -- 1.093 to 1.020 in about 5 days of active fermentation, and about 3 days of a very minor layer of bubbles on top.

i pitched the wort onto a yeast cake (wyeast 1056) that was left over from making a normal IPA (1.053 OG) which originally started as a 2 quart starter.

had no problems with attenuation or anything -- kept the temp around 62-66 degrees the entire time.

i did, however, not hit my my OG off the bat -- so i had a 1.080 or something beer initialy, which a day later, when i had a massively active krausen i added enough LME boiled in water to raise up to 1.093 so not all the sugar was there at first -- i wonder if letting the yeast get going in a more conducive environment helped....

i'll second that lack of o2 thing. just finished up an IIPA -- 1.093 to 1.020 in about 5 days of active fermentation, and about 3 days of a very minor layer of bubbles on top.

i pitched the wort onto a yeast cake (wyeast 1056) that was left over from making a normal IPA (1.053 OG) which originally started as a 2 quart starter.

had no problems with attenuation or anything -- kept the temp around 62-66 degrees the entire time.

i did, however, not hit my my OG off the bat -- so i had a 1.080 or something beer initialy, which a day later, when i had a massively active krausen i added enough LME boiled in water to raise up to 1.093 so not all the sugar was there at first -- i wonder if letting the yeast get going in a more conducive environment helped....

I was planning on making a 1.8L stirred starter with 2 packages of liquid yeast.

I made the AG version of this one last week. What a pain! I had trouble hitting the mash temperature, which resulted in terrible conversion. I ended up adding about 8# DME to hit preboil gravity. Two boilovers later, I got it into the fermentor. I doubt I'll try another AG barleywine. With the trouble this one gave me, I'll be drinking it slooowly over the next several years.

I was planning on making a 1.8L stirred starter with 2 packages of liquid yeast.

Exactly what I did. The yeast was only a few weeks from manufacture date. Fermentation started in only a few hours and was very active.

I see that wyeast has the pacman yeast for sale again. Would this be a good yeast to try with this beer?

I see that wyeast has the pacman yeast for sale again. Would this be a good yeast to try with this beer?

I haven't used Pacman, though I think that would be a great choice, since I enjoy the Rogue beers made with the strain. Wyeast lists it as tolerant to 12%, and since it has high attenuation, it will help limit the sweetness of the barleywine, especially since you're brewing with extract.

Back