Cascade Sang Noir dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WharfRat

Reaction score
Just having a bottle of this fantastic sour and have left a few fingers in the bottle with dregs. Wondering if it would be worth it to build a starter from this. I read that some brewers bottle-prime with a different clean yeast than the beer was primaried with. Anyone know if this is true of cascade? Any advice or wisdom on this in general? I have done a bit of reading and searching, but this sort of thing appears to be very specific to the beer cultured. Thanks!

I live in Portland and love the barrel house! Have you been to tap it Tuesday? Anyways... I'm no expert but I do know that the only wild bugs they inoculate with are lactobacillus, they are specific in saying they are "nw style sour beers" not traditional sours... Weather or not Pedio and Brett are naturally in the barrels, I don't know. Hope that helps.

Even if they bottle with a different yeast strain you can still pitch the dregs. The question is whether or not they pasteurize, which I am pretty sure Cascade does not.

I fed the dregs of a bottle of Cascade Apricot recently. I topped up the dregs in the bottle to about 1/3 full with 1.040 wort. About 3 weeks later I tasted it and there was already some Cascade-type house aroma going on. I was pretty psyched because I love their beers, so a week or two later I added that dreg breed up to a gallon of post ferment wort. It's sitting in a corner now and hopefully something good will come out of it in a while. Who knows how long.

Point is that I think it's not pasteurized.

I'd love to hear more stories about people trying to capture Cascade bugs because they get massive sourness with just lacto, and I would like to be able to emulate that.

tkm

Don't know what I did wrong then! Pitched the dregs into a starter wort the day of the original post and nothing! No bubbles or change in smell. I don't have a stir plate but I generally shake the starter really good every few hours. Never had a problem till now. Bummer.

The only non-lacto beer they have done was their Beckberry which accidentally contracted brett what must be about 2 years ago now, but they got rid of those barrels once it was done aging. I am there a couple of times a week, if you don't have your pasteurization answer by the time I remember to ask, I will post here once I get a clear cut answer for you. They just finished bottling their 2011 apricot last week, folks outside of Portland should be seeing that soon if you have a place that carries Cascade.

By the way, if anyone is local, this weeks Tap it Tuesday was Cherry Bourbonic, highly recommend it, but it will be taproom only so hurry in and hope they still have it

lotbfan said:
By the way, if anyone is local, this weeks Tap it Tuesday was Cherry Bourbonic, highly recommend it, but it will be taproom only so hurry in and hope they still have it

Is it better than the blueberry bourbonic?

They do not pasteurize their sours. If added to a finished beer the lacto should get going and the priming yeast will add nothing to your beer. If you can make a starter and keep it around 90 deg it should fire off.

You could buy some Wyeast lacto and know you are not adding any acetobacter and still get that Cascade like sourness.

BW

Confirmed tonight, the guy at the pub said that the beer is bottled live, but he did mention the same thing, do a starter if you expect any results, there isn't much left to work with at the bottom of the bottle.

I've successfully cultured this strain of lacto from their kriek. It's amazingly tart. Really crazy stuff.

Their lacto is different from the stuff available from WLP or Wyeast. But I suspect they got it from somewhere! Sour on my friends; looking forward to my next trip to PDX and home.

BW

Latest posts

Back