Yeast from a sixer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KettleCorn

Reaction score
"I absolutely LOVE the Kellerweis. Can't wait to attempt to brew it myself, esp if I can use the yeast from a sixer"
Found this here

I have heard of re-using yeast. I was looking around for a clone of Kellerweis. I saw the quote above. I guess you can gather the yeast from a brew and grow it and re-use it... successfully.

My question is... Really?
My second is... How?

A vial of yeast at $7 is not the finacial hurdle of brewing costs, but using a "new" yeast strain for a hefe is intriging.

Farming the yeast from a six pack of beer, Anybody done it?

Yes, it can be done. But only with commercial beers that are bottle conditioned. You can usually tell this by looking for a layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Here you go.

I have not done it, but it can be done. Go to google and search "how to harvest yeast from a beer bottle". You'll find in depth instructions as well as several videos walking you through the process.

I have a culture from Bell's 2 Hearted Ale on my stirplate right now. It's on it's second step. Hopefully in another week or so the yeasties will be ready for battle.

Kellerweis has viable yeast in it. I've harvested and used it.

Unfortunately I was not impressed with the yeast. Made several batches, but never really got the same flavors as SN does. I believe they use open fermenters.

I'm thinking of waking my sample up again (if it is still alive .... been stored for almost 2 years now) and trying again, but at higher temperatures to see what it produces.

Back